• Register Today It's free!

a4ld shift kits?

Mr. Stroker

Reaction score
City, State
Mempis, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Exploder XLT
ive used the search function and checked out explorer4x4.com and i cant find any information on shift kits for this trans.

my exporer is a 92 so it should be a A4ld right?

the only kits i do find are for an AOD or an AODE, would either of these fit my trans?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

transgo makes one, I'm using it and am happy.

:chug: :chug:

alright i will have to look in to that

ty

The TransGo kit is a system correction kit. I've installed two of them. If you try that, make sure you have an ATSG manual to help with parts locations.

I also added a longer modulator valve pin. A local trans shop gave me a couple of old Mopar pins that are longer. By filing them to be about 1/8" longer, the 2nd gear shift is slightly firmer. I did all of that years ago, when I discovered how poor thew A4LD is. Good luck,
Don

Both Transgo and Superior make shift kits. They overlap in what they do. The transgo is good, but the springs are hard to decipher. The Superior has more stuff that goes IN the trannie, and less actual Valve Body stuff, but had better directions. Transgo shows how to drill the separator plate (a no parts needed thing) Superior doesn't. It is a toss up. If $$ is no object do both. (and send the parts you don;t need to me <g>)

Good to know Chris. The Superior kit wasn't out when I did mine.
Don

ok heres what i found

northern auto parts sells this for about $20
http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=2495

i called up summit or jegs(i forgot which) and they said $120

ive used the transgo kits before in a 700r4 but it was the better kit
i would go to the transgo site, but the stupid firewall at work has it blocked for weapons.

so if some one could tell me where they got there transgo kit from or where i could buy the supior kit from that would help.

ty

Shift Kits...

Ok so I'm kinda new to the whole auto trans thing here. I understand the need for a shift improver kit but my question is. What trans is in my 92 xlt, 4wd... It's an auto obviously, and it has OD, D, 2, 1. I don't wanna sound dumb here but I've been building 10 second rice burners for the last 6 years and don't know jack about this truck. Which is exactly why I bought it but that's besides the point. I really enjoy driving my X and I would love to put some more power in it. I don't wanna go crazy just stick with the 4.0 and beef up the tranny a bit. Any help would be great.
Thanks
Justin

The tranny is an A4LD, it's basically a piece of crap, they were made to break, most go around 140k miles then die, and most of the time a rebuild won't last more than 30 or 40 unless it's really done right, by someone who knows the tranny backwords and forwards.

10 seconds imports eh? to go that fast in an import you must have strapped a rocket to it ;) welcome to the good side of the force, hopefully you'll learn your lesson and not go back to the dark side :thumbsup:

:chug: :chug:

someone likes the beer... ^^^^ its alright... mee too

A friend of mine and I rebuilt my A4LD in my old Bronco II, it was the best part of the truck after that, I used the transgo kit and drilled out the holes to the hardest shift level, I was very happy except I messed up the Low/reverse piston seal, use a factory original from ford instead of the cheapy that came with my seal/gasket kit. Also, while you are that deep in the transmission, I reccommend changing the OD lockup solenoid as you have to drop the shift body to change it. It's fifty bucks or so at the dealer, but to me it's just insurance. BTW I put 40K miles on my rebuild (rebuilt it because it threw out a thrust washer.), and I saw the thing on the road the other day. I used a rebuilt pump, rebuilt Torque converter, all new bands, clutches, etc. Where I see people having trouble rebuilding this tranny is trying to go too cheap. I talked to three or four professional tranny rebuilders, they all told me if I wanted my tranny to last, replace those things. Good Luck, with proper study and a little hard work, you can build a A4LD that will last.
PS, I went back to a 5 speed when I sold the bronco II and got the Ex! I'd rather deal with clutches and synchros :)

PPS, we did have the ATSG book, it's an absolute nescessity for installing the springs, and rebuilding the tranny in general. I'm about to embark on rebuilding my M5r51 now, synchros are getting worn after only 192K miles, imagine that!

Most trans parts stores will have one or both of the kits in stock.

The A4LD is the weakest link in a 1st generation Explorer. It started life in four cylinder Thunderbirds, and has been upgraded for different vehicles. Unfortunately it isn't inherent ly very reliable in a heavy truck, subject to towing. Regards,
Don

Shift Kits

Hey thanks for all the good info. I appreciate it greatly. The tranny isn't in too bad shape the truck has 121000 on it and I am just so used to sticks that I forgot how smooth auto's can be. But I will probably rebuild it soon anyways.

And as for the 10 second imports, 1994 Acura integra type R with a T66 turbo and a 150 shot of NOS direct port injected will do the job just nicely.

Back