A4LD slips when cold | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD slips when cold

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can try a flush but I just put my tans in last Fall and it had new fluid, filter, etc. and it still slips when first starting out on cold days. I mentioned about putting an extra quart of fluid and it stopping the slipping. Somebody else mentioned about the pump not working right. Now I'm thinking maybe the extra fluid may override the slow pump .

I don't reccomend overfilling your trans. I only did because I wasn't sure I had the correct dipstick in mine after the changeover last Fall. I'm planning on rebuilding the trans I took out and if this one lasts until I can get my grandson's Talon back on the road, I'll be happy. He needs transportation for college and for now all I want to do is keep the old A4LD moving.

eh, a4ld... gives me nightmares just thinking of when mine is going to go... replaced it a few years ago, tranny has about 40-45 thousadn miels on it... still goign good, i just hate knowing it's gonna go eventually.

Guys, my '93 explorer 2WD 150k. has been doing this for years. When cold, I try to start out in OD, but the A4LD will not shift out of 1st. I have to shift to 2nd to get the A4LD out of 1st & into 2nd. Then, I have to drive in 2nd for 5 minutes then shift to D or OD for the A4LD to shift properly. I replaced the modulator valve, filter & fluid last July, but no change. I have to go through this procedure every time I drive the damn thing! Please help!!

No good news about the A4LD from me. My second A4LD went on me. We changed the truck over to manual and it worked great for while then I started having other problems like TFI, then Computer, etc. etc. and the last was a cracked head After the 6th trip home on a rollback I sold the truck. I really liked that truck. It took me everywhere I wanted to go but then left me there only to come home on a rollback.

After selling it, I came across a 1981 F150 Ranger with the 4.9 motor and C6 trans. It only has 98K on it and it's rust free. Rust free on a truck that old in Pennsylvania is something. I still have a Ranger but it's a little bigger than the last one and a little older.

Back