A4LD valve body question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD valve body question

opster

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of rebuilding an A4LD. I have two of them a 90 and an 88. Between the two I'm trying to put together a good one. The 88 has 5 check balls and the 90 has 4. I looked at the Ford shop rebuild manual and it says that the 88 has the extra ball 'H' right below bore 206 (Manual Valve). My question is this a critical ball or not. Both valve bodies are of the two solenoid design.

By the way this transmission will be used for a 1990 bronco II.

The one from the 88 comes from a 2.9l. The 90 I have no idea. The background is:

I bought a 1990 BII from someone who recently dumped a lot of money into it (new engine, and misc. front end components), including a recently rebuilt trans. However the trans blew up 100mi after being rebuillt ..... owner was disgusted and sold the car to me for 500. So I tore the trans apart and it was very clean and had new or little wear parts in it except for scores on everything because apparently the front drive hub assembly seized to the center support for some reason. So most of the parts on the 90 are bad. The 88 works, but slips really bad, after tearing it apart I noticed everything has significant wear.

What I am doing now. Gathering hard parts off of ebay and the little good parts between the 88 and 90 to build one good trans. I trying to do this for less than 400. The car will not be used as a daily driver, just something to go camping in.

I was under the impression the valve bodies were the same in the Explorers and BIIs with the two solenoid designs, except for the extra check ball on some early BIIs. Apparently from what I read on Glaciers valve rebuild diary, Transgo recommends adding the 5th ball to those that don't have it? Why is that?

Back