A4LD vs. 4R/5R55E,W,etc. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD vs. 4R/5R55E,W,etc.

I agree that the 4R/5R is mechanically more stout. For most normal drivers, WHY is not what is on their minds when the money is coming out of the wallet, only that it IS. And, from the information I can read and see on this site and others, the 4R/5R trannies ARE needing major work done sooner than the A4LD.

So, the conclusion must be that we need the frankentranny ASAP, so that we can send it into ford and say,"THIS is what the tranny should be!!"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the A4LD's you could count stake marks around the bellhousing seal and know if it had been rebuilt..... not so in the 5R's.

HA!!!!! I never thought of that before!!!!!!! Very good ,very good!!!!:D

I agree that the 4R/5R is mechanically more stout. For most normal drivers, WHY is not what is on their minds when the money is coming out of the wallet, only that it IS. And, from the information I can read and see on this site and others, the 4R/5R trannies ARE needing major work done sooner than the A4LD.

So, the conclusion must be that we need the frankentranny ASAP, so that we can send it into ford and say,"THIS is what the tranny should be!!"

Oh so true!!! It's not the why or how come it failed. It's the "how much it's going to cost me"

Good luck tell Ford anything. Been there, done that.

I found a picture from Glacier991's post of this seal with stake marks:
15286Dscn4286-med.jpg

From the stake marks, this one has been rebuilt once.

Back