A4LD vs. 4R70W - unfair comparison | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD vs. 4R70W - unfair comparison

I don't mind paying the extra for gas knowing I have a solid tranny behind the 8 gerbles :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brian_B said:
Lets just hope the 5R is a better unit (whichever opinion we all have).
Well, I had 90k on my 5R before I pulled it. My rig started as a rental car. I have been wheeling it hard since i bought the truck with 20k on it. I know I would overheat it wheeling before adding the trans cooler. Still worked great (other than the computer not knowing what to do) up until I replaced it. And after I pulled the trans it went to Brain who did the A4LD to 5R55E comparison and he said it looked to be in great shape inside.

Jefe said:
And after I pulled the trans it went to Brain who did the A4LD to 5R55E comparison and he said it looked to be in great shape inside.

Well, except for some guy who used to jam it into park at 5mph! <g>

Thats good to hear along with waht glacier has posted. That has been a big concern to me since I found out it was a descendant of the A4LD. Sorry fortune, but I hate those things. :fire: I know striong words and yes I mean it.

Mine is a driver (not off-road) although towing is hard on them too. It will get used for that a lot when I get a receiver.

Now ford removes the dipstick...what wonderful engineering! :confused: :rolleyes:

Any thoughts on that Glacier? You usually have pretty good ideas.

from what I have been told the 4r70w will tow the hell out of a properly sized load forever withouth flinching, as long as you keep it from overheating and are nice to it.

They are brutes.

I hated my Mazda 5 speed even more then the A4LD, the internal slave cyl,clutch setup, and sticky shift solenoids was also a joke.

I have no experience at all with a standard (as far a working on one). I have only owned one vehicle that had one and didn't keep it long enough to tear it up. LOL

Glacier991 said:
Jerry W, a Ford Engineer has posted some really helpful stuff too on that site.

The "J-mod" (named after Jerry) has got to be the most popular modification done to the 4R70W.

Greg

We're gonna walk thru the J-Mod in the 4R70W Rebuild Diary! (and a few other newer VB mods). In the next couple weeks I have to build an A4LD and I'd like to also do a 4R70W... might be fun to make other comparisons. Side by side..... guess I might need another trannie [nee engine] stand.

Back