• Register Today It's free!

Aaaaannnd...Headgasket is Toast

Wolfie_85

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
Just blew a head gasket, I'm pretty sure. Oil is milkshaked, coolant is empty. I think I'm gonna have my mechanic replace it, as it's winter, and I have nowhere to work on it (or some of the tools, or the time).

I -really- hope it's not a cracked head.

Here I was just thinking about brakes and ball joints! Wish me luck, depening on how I decide to do this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get that oil out ASAP if you haven't already. I'd almost be tempted to drain the rest of the coolant and fill with cheap oil, run it for a couple of minutes then drain that too. That is, if it runs.

Sorry to hear about this.

Although, you may want to get a test kit to see if there's combustion gasses in the coolant. Is the coolant still green? It's possible only the lower intake failed.

Just blew a head gasket, I'm pretty sure. Oil is milkshaked, coolant is empty. I think I'm gonna have my mechanic replace it, as it's winter, and I have nowhere to work on it (or some of the tools, or the time).

I -really- hope it's not a cracked head.

Here I was just thinking about brakes and ball joints! Wish me luck, depening on how I decide to do this.

More likely, its the heads. It is extremely rare for the 1st gens to pop a head gasket and NOT crack the heads.

When you are looking for heads, make sure you get heads stamped with 93tm. the older style, 90tm, are more prone to cracking and they newer 93tm heads had better casting.

New heads should be < $250 each for assembled, ready to install heads.

~Mark

What I feared...

Mine is a '94. It may have the newer heads already?

Mine is a '94. It may have the newer heads already?

Right now yes, but when you buy new or rebuilt heads, make sure to get the 93tm heads. If you go rebuilt you could end up with 90tm heads.

~Mark

I got that part. But, what I was getting at was: If it has the new heads as is, are there any better odds that the heads don't need replaced? Just curious. :p

The factory 93TM heads are only slightly better than the factory 90TM heads. Chances are still very, very good that blown gasket = cracked head.

Generally it's easier and less expensive to just replace the heads with the heavier, thicker, stronger and better flowing 93TM aftermarket heads. It makes no sense to spend $$$ having the original heads cleaned, inspected, inspected some more, etc. only to figure out that yes, the head is cracked, yes, it needs to be replaced. If you can get all that done for cheap or free just to be super duper sure you're not replacing non-cracked heads maybe it's worth it.

Otherwise, skipping that and just throwing on two new complete heads makes the job a lot quicker and easier, plus you get the benefit of slightly better flowing heads, and peace of mind that the new ones will handle future cooling issues a little better.

Thanks, guys. I will make sure they're 93t's.

I have finally taken it to the shop. Way too cold to work on, and I have no garage. Soon, I shall have my truck back. And this work is covered by a warrenty. I can't wait! I miss her. :(

FINALLY back up and running. Over the course of this endevor, my Explorer was broken into (through right rear window in the door), and I had all of my stereo stuff stolen. Sub, amp, head unit, even the wire harness. Oh, and 200 CD's. So now, it has a new window, new head gasket, intake gasket, plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets, brakes (front), ball joints, wheel bearings...but no stereo. Oh, they gouged a small hole in the leather.

Happy to have her back. Insurance is going to cover my stereo and CD's.

Glad you got your truck back. If the truck was at the shop when it was broken into, the shop can be held liable since it was in their care.

Yeah, his insurance covered it. Tonight, I will hopefully be installing a new stereo with bluetooth. :)

Back