AAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH----Chirp | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH----Chirp

Reaction score
City, State
PWS Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Well, here is the update in the saga of my Chirp. Quick history; chirping=new belts(x3), new tensioner assembly and idler pulley (both bad) chirping went away after each new item just to return with two weeks. Took it to the Mechanic today (out of bullets for the pain reliever) 5 1/2 hours later I call the mechanic that says he took off the belt, idler pulley and tensioner assembly. He checked all the pulleys and condition of the belt (which the tensioner marks says needs to be replaced at 3 weeks old) and informed me that he is not able to find the problem and recommends that I take the piece of ---- to the dealer (which is a 7 hour drive one way). I called another dealer and they said that the press on pulley for the power steering might not be on far enough, I check and this one has a bolt on. I did find that if a grab the power steering pulley it moves in/out about 1/4 of an inch freely. Is that normal? The next step is to purchase a new belt and then start replacing other parts starting with the alternator. Please any wisdom would be help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My original ps pump had about 3/8" play. My rebuilt replacement has at least 1/4".

Usually a chirp is the belt, either from a slick part of the belt slipping on a pulley, or the belt material being hard/wet (from cold weather or rain/snow/humidity), which also causes slipping. Sure, you can get chirps from the bearings in various pulleys and tensioners, but usually it's the belt. If the first fresh new replacement belt doesn't fix it, and it's the exact same chirp, it's some hardware. You can have a very new belt slip and chirp though. I fixed a chirping one that was driving me crazy with a nice new premium belt, only to have it slip a few weeks later and give a different chirping noise. Wound up having to replace that one, but the chirp has been gone ever since. Usually premium belts are the way to go, and if you can, sometimes genuine dealer replacement parts are your best bet. If you can find a parts store that sells Motorcraft parts, you might get a better deal than even a premium aftermarket belt.

It can be tough to pinpoint the source of a chirp in an engine bay, with the noise of the motor, fan, exhaust, etc. and all the sound reflections under the hood, but you can get a pretty good idea of the source by moving your head around and finding the place where the chirp is loudest. With your nose pointed right at it, the chirp should be loudest where you're looking since your ears will be about the same distance from the source.
An old mechanic's trick is to use some rubber hose, hold one end up to your ear, and move the other end around. This usually muffles the other noise and the high frequency chip should be pretty easily found.

Does the sound go awat with the belt off and motor running?

AAAARRRRGGGHHH--Chirp

I haven't tried running the motor without the belt yet. Is that safe to do? Am I going to mess anything up by doing that?

It will be fine for a short while-
Watch the temp gauge-
you don't want to run it long enough to get too warm, but a minute or 2 will be fine. Be sure all accessories are switched off.

AAARRRGGGHHH--Chirp

Great I will give it a try this weekend. Also mine is not temp. activated. It was 41degrees two days ago and it made no sound, then in the afternoon when it was 73 it was loud then yesterday morning at 45 it made noise then later nothing. It is one of the agrivating problems.

AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH---Chirp***Gone***

Hello, well the story of birds under the hood. I called Goodyear and researched their Gator Back belt. The gentleman I talked to actualy sent me two belts to "test", a GatorBack and a Balkamp (not yet stamped) with my stipulation (not his) that I would try each one and contact him with my results. Well the good news is that I tried the Balkamp first (about a month and 1,000 miles ago) and am happy to say that the bird has been excersied with belt #5 in the last 3 months. I am not going to change belts until this one starts chirping again. I will keep you guys updated with any changes. Thank you to the forum for all your help and an ear to yell at.

is it safe to say it never chirped again? :p

I had the same problem. I found that the belts that three different auto parts stores sold me were too long. I took note of where the little arrows were aligned on the tensioner, then took the belt off and founf that the tensioner hardly moved at all. Bought a shorter belt and all was good. If this is the problem, a new belt will be silent for while but it will come back.

AAARRRGGGHHH--Chirp

Well to update everyone the chirping did go go away and has not come back. I would have to say that the "Gator Back" belt did it's job. The problem (in my case) has been fixed.

Thanks for everyones help.

Hey Alaska, just adding my 2cents. I also just went through some insane chirping over the last 8mo or so, i finally gave up and replaced my tensioner, idler, and belt (all DAYCO parts from ADVANCE AUTO) and it is QUIET AS A BREEZE blowing through a grassy countryside. No chirp of ANY kind in the last 5 weeks or so. Glad your chirp went away :)

Back