Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
OK I have played with the cold air induction on my 88 BII about 5 times now. The first setup was easy, cut a big hole in the side of the airbox and put a speaker grill over it. Minor gains.

2nd attempt I simply put a K&N cone on the end of my 2.9L's intake tube. More gains, lots of growling at WOT.

3rd attempt was the same thing, except this time I built a new intake tube from 3" PVC and wrapped it with the heat protective tape. Worked very well! I gained a few MPG and a little more HP over the other setups.

So now what? Working good but I wanted more.

Well I eneded up cutting a 4" hole in the radiator support just below the battery tray. I used the stock intake hole location as the starting point and a cremmel to cut the hole. Patience is key here, that hole was a bitc* to cut! Not to mention I had to remove the push bar, bumper and grill. Then I sprayed the area with rustoleum black paint to keep the nasty rust away....
I used a 4" PVC toilet drain to floor flange adapter on the inside of the hole and attached a 4" piece of industrial strenght dryer hose to it. Not the white stuff and not the aluminum stuff, this is heavy duty black plastic tube witht he spiral spring inside it. Works perfect. It runs along the bottom of the battery tray, up near the AC purge canister, and then makes a 180 u turn around to mate up with the K&N 7" cone. You can see somer pictures of this setup on my website....

OK OK so now you guys are like "what does a 2.9L ram air setup have to do with our MAS 4.0L's???""

Well I ditched the 2.9L in favor of a 94 Explorer 4.0L. I'm just about the happiest person alive. What was I thnking toying around with that 2.9L for all those years when I could of had the 4.0L all along!!!

So far I have JBA's, a 16" electric fan, and my old 2.9L exhaust (2.25" cat back, Dynomax). When I did the swap I wanted to keep the airbox this time since I needed a place to mount my MAS and I didnt have the $$$$ for the KKM.

So I got a 94 Explorer K&N and threw it in the airbox. Works pretty well. Now that I have all the bugs of my 4.0L swap worked out it's time to get down and dirty with the intake on the 4.0L.....

Here's what I have done so far:
1. Got rid of the stupid air muffler, replaced with 2.75" stainless exhaust pipe.

2. Cut the intake hole inthe airbox open about 2" all around, I stuck my 4" cold air feed tube in there and glued it together.

Vast improvements over stock.
However next I'm going to replace the entire intake tube with a Ford insulated Turbo down pipe for a diesel, fits perfect as far as I can tell and it's already insualted!
Just need to plumb in the crankcase vent and wa laah.

So now what to do with the MAS and airbox?

I am planning to go back to my ram air setup, Without buying a KKM tru rev. I'm planning to fabricate an adapter for the MAS (stock MAS for now) so I can stick my 7" K&N on the end of it. Then the 4" cold air feed tube will need to be routed over the cone filter to get the ram air effect.
This means the Optima must be moved.

So anybody got any ideas on how and where to re-locate my battery?

Pictures of all this stuff coming soon....

And oh by the way is it ok with you guys if I post here?
I mean I drive a 88 Eddie Bauer BII but the interior is from a 97 Explorer and the drivetrain is from a 94 Explorer....

Thanks!!

Just thought I'd share....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not that I have anything to add technical wise, but anyone is welcome here. :) I also know that Brett the moderator of this group is looking to do exactly what you have done to your BroII with the 4.0 transplant. He is here in town also, (Littleton) I don't know how far along he has gotten either.

Okay.. i have no idea what things look like under the hood though.. but in my 94... I am trying to figure out how to do what your doing... but with a KKM.... the place for my battery is where my airbox used to be. Then I brought my airfilter up front right next to the grill and behind the headlight. This will make it easy for my to bring cool air up... :)

nick

Whoa whoa whoa..your interior is from a 97? I would love to see that, or is it just the seats? I am thinking it is everything, that would be awesome. I would like to see pics if it is everyhting. About the battery, you might try looking at Rick's explorer. He put an extra battery over where the windsheild wiper fluid container was. He got one from a different vehicle and relocated it somewhere else to make room for another battery. Look at the Tips page and look for adding another battery or somehting of that sort.

[Edited by rock883 on 08-03-2000 at 08:24 PM]

I think I screwed up

I have a 1996 Explorer. I drilled 4 holes and then from those cut a rectangle out of the box about 3 inches wide and about 6 inches long. I just left it like that. Should I put some sort of protection over it? I totally forgot about that.

Hey man thanks for posting something like this. I have been waiting for someone to post something on how to make your own intake. My friend said that he could make one for me and it would be cheaper then a kkm. At first i didn't believe him because he just started talk about stupid crap. But no i see how it can be done. Thanks man im going to try it.

Keith-theoretically your airfilter should stop anything from getting into your intake. I cut large rectangular holes out of the airbox sides (bottom half '91) and got fiberglass screens and epoxied them over the openings just to keep the large stuff out.

Back