About time I signed up!!!

Muleman36

Reaction score
City, State
Muleman36
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 XLT
Hello everyone!

I admit, I've been stalking these forums for years. I apologize for not joining a long time ago.

I purchased my "first" Explorer a couple months ago. "First" is in quotes because my dad got a 91 sport when I was 15 for next to nothing. The 91 developed a coolant leak shortly thereafter and it's been parked ever since.

The Ex I just purchased is a 1997 5.0 XLT in "Emerald Green"(I think)+ a Grey interior and 94k on the clock. Everything appears to be original from the radio to the plug wires(including the coolant).

It has some cancer in the passenger side dogleg area and some on the driver's rear fender lip. Underside is clean up front and rusty in the rear. The AC doesn't blow cold(yet), and the factory rear shackles are just about rusted through.

Everything else is in working order(aside from the odd exhaust smell I noticed at the tire shop earlier today.)

I purchased it as a "cheap" family runaround rig. I know it will fit the bill for that purpose. Living in Southern Missouri we make frequent trips to the river, and run our fair share of trails on the farm.

My plans (for now) include a torsion twist and shackle lift(no choice there with the rusted factory shackles). And some 31's. Other immediate mods will be a low range transfer case out of an f150(97-98 are the years with the same type of speedo iirc?), And possibly selectable lockout hubs made for the 98-01 rangers. Down the road I am hoping the next step will be a solid axle swap+ SOA and 33-35" tires. My vision for the vehicle is to keep the center of gravity as low as possible(no body lift). I am hoping I will have the clearance I need for the SAS with minimal lift, but that is a long way down the road anyway...

She'll be an "overland" type build, not a rock crawler. That doesn't mean I can't have 4.30-4.56s, some body protection, and selectable lockers though...

My other vehicles are:

2006 f350 SRW 6.0 power stroke(moderately modified), leveled on 35s with competition transmission, 185cc injectors, custom turbo, and custom tunes...

2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3 (Basically stock, but 35s and 17" methods are on the way to go with some front leveling springs)

1968 Mercury Cougar in "Caribbean blue" ...time working on the road has forced me to neglect this bone stock, 45 year Vegas based car for the last 7 years... The old 302 ran(very well) when she was parked, she will run again soon.

2014 Victory Cross Country

I have collected various full size Fords over the years. A couple 78-79 f150 and Broncos + I still have the 91 sport 5 SPD that needs an engine...

Thank you everyone for the great information this site has provided. From the outside peering in, it's obvious y'all are a family and take care of each other as such. I hope to be able to contribute my experience with my rigs and help to keep the information archived here up to date.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome
V8 nice

Welcome to the forum!
Thank you Turdle!!! I've been reading and learning from your experience longer than you know...

Thanks BrooklynBay! The explorer picture is from today, the truck pic is 4 years old and I don't have a picture of the excursion (it's in the background of the explorer picture). I need to update my photos.🤔

IMG_20210809_121919067.jpg

IMG_20190501_185803862.jpg

IMG_20170529_211448747_HDR.jpg

Welcome. Any pics of the 68 Cougar?.

Back