About to Cancel Order | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

About to Cancel Order

I have to fully agree that folks like us know the vehicles so much better than any salesman. For years its been that way that when i go to physically see a vehicle I find myself teaching the salesman about it rather than the other way around. I think its a lack of professionalism to a vocation, many of these folks see their role as job rather than as it should be.

I wish there was a way to order direct from the manufacturer. Totally eliminate the dealership sales game, just have vehicles to see and to handle service.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

About 10 years ago, there was a rising swell among construction equipment manufacturers, who had the grand idea of central regional manufacturer direct "dealerships" basically set up like airports. Some were looking at airports. You come in to try and purchase there, then have smaller satellite service centers to maintain and sell parts- but they were going to remove the selling piece from the dealership puzzle. Problem was threefold- first, there is no profit in new equipment sales. When I was selling, it was usually between 2-7% on a machine. Parts and service is where money is made, much like vehicles. Second, they discounted the relationship angle. Third, it's too hard for people to travel like that... The idea imploded, and we still have dealers.

Pardon? What QA steps in the "paint department" are going to catch a WRONG entry by the dealership. Ford built what was ordered. The dealership ought to offer a large discount for their error and let the OP decide.
Pardon? Did you miss this portion of my original post:

in other words and assuming the order sheet said gray and not blue, the mult QA steps within and after the paint department should have caught this blatant error.

1765-96-20090311100848.jpeg

I grew up on toyotas, supra, corolla, camry, and i own an 05 avalon now. Toyotas have issues too (and I don't think they've quite figured out that acceleration issue), but I've gotten my money's worth out of all of them. But, I've always liked GM and Ford suv's & trucks better than toyota's.

Today, before I was getting ready to curse out the dealer and cancel my order, my wife gets a call from corporate. Apparently, there's a slew of finished Ex's that have been sitting in Chicago since at least last fall and no one knows exactly why they're not moving fast enough. Also, very few of these vehicles are actually custom built despite the fact that we've been pre-ordering to spec. Based on allocation and other BS factors, the dealerships basically receive what's available from the manufacturer at that time. If it's not available, it'll be built eventually or the dealership receives a similar package to the pre-ordered spec. But it gets worse: The VIN# given to me from the dealership does not exist with corporate. So corporate contacts one of the dealer GSM's, and he contacts us. Basically, he's supposed to find us an Ex with our exact package specs in either sterling gray or bourdeaux in less than another 8wks. It's either coming from the plant or another dealership, and yes the price will reflect the BS we're going through. My wife pretty much took over the issue cause she still has some patience left. Meanwhile, I'm looking at other options just in case.

Something just doesn't sound right with that, like the dealer isn't being honest. I think a lot of the process hinges on your dealer, and basically some dealerships just plain suck. In my case I went over the exact specs with my salesperson before he pushed order, then I even got a printout. Then I was able to check my window sticker later and see it was indeed the specs I had ordered and the window sticker even said the car was for me. The only hickup in the whole process was nobody could tell me why it was on hold for a week. With that though I only had to wait a total of 7.5 weeks from order to pickup date. I spent several months car shopping and eliminated 75% of the dealers in my area as an option due to poor customer service and salesperson quality.

For my first time custom ordering a new vehicle from the manufacturer, I'd have to boil my frustration down to two main factors:
1. The mystery known as dealer allocation
2. Dealer suckitude in all facets of the experience
@JoeDirt, I was thinking about the regional center idea as well. I would have loved to have driven even a couple of hours to a regional hub and spend all day test driving, asking questions, talking to KNOWLEDGEABLE reps, and ultimately buying direct...without spinning the roulette wheel of allocation.

At least it might help if dealers were fully transparent about allocation. Kind of like, "yeah, we'll give you a great price, but just be aware that because we flat out suck as a dealership we're only scheduled to get one Ex a month for the next year, and five people are ahead of you in the queue..."

Back