ABS comes on at low speed 2000 XTL | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS comes on at low speed 2000 XTL

bluestream1

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4
My ABS activates at very low speed for some reason. Its seems to come on when pulling to a stop and is worse if the wheels are turned. No ABS light comes on. but I do have an ABS code of C1155. I have recently replaced my left front hub when the OEM hub worn out. Same problem with the new hub installed. I have checked the wire connecter on the left and it seems to be corrosion free.

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's definitely one of the sensors.
The new hub may have a faulty sensor, I have the same problem.
I have a hub that's about 3 years old and the sensor in it failed about 2 months in. You should swap the hub, if it has a warranty.

Yes, its funny that I had the same issue with my old hub and then again with the new one. You wouldn't think both hubs would be bad. ALso, why do I have no ABS light, but still have the stored code??

Anyone else have their ABS activate at low speed braking?

When you say it activates do you mean the pedal pushes back on you?

When you say it activates do you mean the pedal pushes back on you?

Pedal pulses and ABS activates as vehicle slows to a stop, even on bare pavement

You didn't have a fluid leak and get air in the ABS did you? I don't think that problem is caused by the code you have. If it becomes really bad you can pull the fuse but that disables the ABS system, but it appears it isn't working properly anyways. When your pedal pulsates is it accompanied by a noise?

Check your pads and see if one is worn substantially more than the other.

You didn't have a fluid leak and get air in the ABS did you? I don't think that problem is caused by the code you have. If it becomes really bad you can pull the fuse but that disables the ABS system, but it appears it isn't working properly anyways. When your pedal pulsates is it accompanied by a noise?

Check your pads and see if one is worn substantially more than the other.

No the system has not been opened for 2 years when I did the pads last. Pads are about 1/2 worn I would estimate. Its not really the pedal that pulses, its the same feel as when ABS comes on in ice or snow conditions. There is a sound, I assume is the solenoids operating. If it were air in the system, I would think it would do this 100% of the time and not intermittent.

Clean all three sensors, both fronts and the rear in the diff.

Take out the ABS fuse out and see if it still has the pulsating feeling. A warped rotor will also cause a pulse, but that would be constant.

My old 95 did the same thing. I did both bearings at the time and that cured it.
Now my 01 is doing it. I bought the bearings..just need to do it.
None of them really made a noise or anything but I could tell they were sloppy when I took them out in the 95. Apparently it don't take much to throw the readings from the senors off.

Very common problem.

It's definitely one of the sensors.
The new hub may have a faulty sensor, I have the same problem.
I have a hub that's about 3 years old and the sensor in it failed about 2 months in. You should swap the hub, if it has a warranty.

I think I will buy a new hub and try that...

Problem solved. I replaced the right side differential seal, and replaced the bearing at the same time as the original bearing was still installed. The ABS connector was filled with "green goo" After putting the new hub, and cleaning the connector in the problem went away. I'm sure I could have cleaned the connector and used the old hub as well, but with it all apart I went with a new hub.

Anyone reading this, note that the ABS code I had was for a left side deficiency, but my problem was actually the right side connector.

Good to hear.

You ever in the GTA? I don't really know any Explorers from this area that are on the forum.

Good to hear.

You ever in the GTA? I don't really know any Explorers from this area that are on the forum.

Yes, I do get there a few times per year...

Back