• Register Today It's free!

abs issues

Darian Key

Reaction score
City, State
Reford, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford explorer
My front wheel bearings were bad both inner and outer on each side and before I replaced them it would buzz and pulse the peddle only in REVERSE when I got down to 3 mph or so while braking obviously. Now I replaced the wheel bearings and that does the same thing but now in drive. Every single time I drop down to about 3 mph while braking it pulses the peddle then buzzes and dims the lights a little. What could this issue be? I might just unplug the fuse because I don't like abs anyway but I still would like to know what's causing this. My brake pads are new, fluid is full, brakes perfectly fine even when abs module is doing its thing. 97 explorer xlt 4.0 ohv 2wd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the ABS light on? If so it needs a good scanner to read the codes.

Typically this has been solved by cleaning the ABS sensors. There is one in each front hub and one on the rear axle pumpkin. Remove them, clean the head and re-install. See if that stops the issue.

The abs light isn't on but is now because I just pulled the abs fuse till I can fix it. Im sure they are dirty because that would completely make sense to why it's doing it everything was dirty.

Pulling the light does not make the code go away. Getting the code read is the best way to determine your issue, but 80%+ of the time the rear sensor is bad when you get the reverse slow speed pulsing. There are 3 sensors - front left & right hubs, rear differential. New hubs come with new sensors already attached and shimmed so very likely not the front ones. The rear one costs about $12 at most parts stores. It is located on the top of the rear differential, held in place buy one bolt. Very easy to swap once you get under the truck - remove bolt, twist a couple times, pull and unhook the wires.

** Edit: did not notice you said was 2WD, so my comment on hubs is not applicable. The sensors read off the tone rings in the fronts, still has the rear sensor in the differential. Cleaning is not a bad idea and might solve the issue. Best would be to pull the sensors and check for continuity with a multimeter as one of them may be broken. Did a search for "slow speed ABS" - its a pretty common issue. **

No no the abs light IS on because I pulled the abs fuse. It wasn't on before the issues

Back