ABS Kicks on and Off. Light Comes on. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS Kicks on and Off. Light Comes on.

1998MM

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mercury Mountaineer
I've been experiencing something strange with my ABS.

It's very intermittent and happens even on dry pavement going slow.

I'll be coming up to a stop sign at 15 mph on dry pavement, press the breaks, and the ABS kicks in, the peddle jumps and stutters and then the ABS light comes on and the ABS shuts off. After turning off the car and waiting, the ABS will usually come back on for a while until it does it again.

I've pulled all 4 wheels off, tightened the caliper bots, replaced the rotors and breaks, and it still does it.

Any ideas?

(1998 Mercury Mountaineer AWD - V8) :feedback:

+1 on the ABS sensors. There is a single one for the back wheels, mounted on the differential high on one side, that seems particularly prone to fail. It's pretty inexpensive and easy to do, if you want to take a chance and just throw a part on it. I assume you would have mentioned a flashing ABS light if you had one.

+1 on the ABS sensors. There is a single one for the back wheels, mounted on the differential high on one side, that seems particularly prone to fail. It's pretty inexpensive and easy to do, if you want to take a chance and just throw a part on it. I assume you would have mentioned a flashing ABS light if you had one.

My ABS light comes on solid. Then it goes off for a while, and then back on. It's intermittent. But it doesn't flash. I'll check out the rear sensor. Thanks!

Back