• Register Today It's free!

ABS light 97 mountaineer

mikeyd35

Reaction score
City, State
baton rouge, la
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 mountianeer
Hi, my ABS light came on about 6 weeks ago. I found that the ABS sensor mounted on top of the rear end was bad. It showed open when I tested it with a ohm meter. I promptly replaced it and the light went out until about a week ago. I rechecked the ABS sensor mounted on top of the rear end and also the two sensors for the front tires. All tested good. My Ford CD service manual shows that there are trouble codes that can be read to help troubleshoot the problem. My OBD-2 tester will not read ABS codes. Does anyone know how to read the ABS trouble codes and/or have any suggestions on what might be turning the light on.
Thank You, Mikey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to have a reader that handles abs codes.

You can pull the front sensors out and clean them - over time they usually get some crud on them which can cause problems.

The rear diff has a sensor ring inside that sometimes goes bad. You have to dissemble the rear diff to replace it.

That said, the rear is probably still the issue, so check the connector on the rear diff carefully for corrosion.

In situations where the abs light is very intermittent, I have seen a couple of people pull the rear diff cover, clean the crud out of the diff, carefully clean the sensor ring, and put fresh lube in, and it works. The rear limited slips get quite a bit of junk in the fluid over time from the clutch pack, clean fluid seems to help in the borderline situations. Worth a try!

Thanks

Thanks for the help guyes. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Your Pal Mikey :usa:

same here im cleaning it wednesday

Back