• Register Today It's free!

ABS light and flashing 4x4

smjones

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Cod
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Hey guys' looking for some help:) Wifes 04 explorer has abs light on and 4x4 hi light flashes 7-10 times every 2 minutes or so. Had friend read codes and he came up with-- p1812=4x mode select circuit malfunction --u 2023=external node malfunction c 1155= left front speed sensor circuit malfunction. This past April we replaced the wheel hub assembly (left side)including the speed sensor. having a hard time believing that this sensor could have gone bad already.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well if its that new it should have a warenty. i would say use it and see if it fixes it. good luck :) and welcom to the forum

well if its that new it should have a warenty. i would say use it and see if it fixes it. good luck :) and welcom to the forum

Hello! I was out drivin tonight and my 4wd high and 4wd low light started doin the 6 flash thing that I've been readin so much about. I got 311000 on it and havent noticed any problems with the tranny. Whats the dealer gonna tell me when i take it in>?:(

Can someone maybe translate what the two codes are-- P1812 and u2023. I've searched everywhere and cannot figure out what they mean or how to fix. p1812=4x4 mode select circuit malfunction --u 2023=external node malfunction I'm surely not a mechanic but somewhat able (plus got smarter friends for backup if needed).

Hey guys' looking for some help:) Wifes 04 explorer has abs light on and 4x4 hi light flashes 7-10 times every 2 minutes or so. Had friend read codes and he came up with-- p1812=4x mode select circuit malfunction --u 2023=external node malfunction c 1155= left front speed sensor circuit malfunction. This past April we replaced the wheel hub assembly (left side)including the speed sensor. having a hard time believing that this sensor could have gone bad already.

This is my first time on the forum (first post). My son's '04 Explorer (~90K miles) just experienced the same problem. Of course his had some rumbling noise when turning the slightly one way or the other. Since I read this issue here, I thought I would reply with my fix.
It did happen to be the left front wheel bearing going out. If the ABS light is on, the code should tell you which wheel is having the problem. I also jacked up the left side and checked for any play by wiggling the wheel at the top and bottom. Spinning the wheel, I could also lightly feel the rumbling as the wheel turned.
Tools needed to do the job:
19mm socket - remove the wheel
30mm socket, breaker bar and a punch or screw driver. I used some anti-seize on the axle nut threads for precaution as ours was pretty rusty. I placed the punch in the cooling fins of the rotor going through the caliper to keep rotor from turning. Axle nut is removed.
18mm (socket or wrench) - remove the caliper bracket. 2 bolts and the bracket and caliper can be removed together. Hang the caliper from a wire hanger hung on the spring.
15mm socket (recommend 6pt, pretty hard to remove and don't want to round off the corners [OH NO!]) and short extension (3-6") - 3 bolts holding hub to steering knuckle. Between loctite and rust, these were hard to remove. They were also right up against the half-shaft boot, so be careful not to rupture the boot especially if using an impact. I used the breaker bar to be safe.
BFH and a cold chisel (or impact chisel) - of course thanks to years of road salting corroding the metal parts, the hub was frozen to the steering knuckle. An axle puller may be needed to separate the axel from the hub.
Screwdriver may be needed to separate the plastic clips holding the ABS wire running up the brake hose.

Once out (finally, whew!) the new hub went back together pretty easy. I also recommend buying the hub assembly with the ABS sensor. Chances are the ABS sensor was ruined when the old bearing went out.
The parts were only a little over $100. There was a higher priced different brand,but if both have the same warranty (1 year), why pay more.

Thanks for the post.

2005 explorer 4x4 advtrac 99,000

My Wife's Explorer was displaying an ABS light, the ADVtrac would not stay on, and the 4x4 light would occasionally flash. I checked the ABS wheel sensor plugs last Sunday - even pulled them apart and looked at them with a multi-meter (reading=0), but the light stayed on. I quit when it got dark, and thought I would work on it again this weekend. She drove the car MON and TUE with the warning lights on. Wednesday morning the car would not start - the battery was graveyard dead. I didn't get too excited - it was the original battery :). I knew that some BMW motorcycles display an ABS light when the voltage is low, so I hoped that my warning light would go out with a new battery. I replaced the battery yesterday, but the waring lights came on again when I cranked the car up. Today I went out for a drive with the thought that maybe the ABS needed some time on the road to reset. I drove a couple of miles with the warning lights on. Stopped and turned the car off. Then when I started again, the warning lights went off and stayed off. It was only a 10 mile test - I won't know for sure if it was the battery until I get through a couple of days.

[How do you start a new thread? I tried (I know I have done it in the past) so that is why I am inserting the question here]

A question on 4 x 4. I have 2005 Explorer XLT

What is 4 x4 Automatic?
What is the difference between it and 4 x 4 High.
Does anyone use 4 X 4 Automatic?
The manual does nor tell much about 4 x4 Automatic

Another question on the rear mirrors on driver and passenger side – are they foldable?

Thanks!

Can someone maybe translate what the two codes are-- P1812 and u2023. I've searched everywhere and cannot figure out what they mean or how to fix. p1812=4x4 mode select circuit malfunction --u 2023=external node malfunction I'm surely not a mechanic but somewhat able (plus got smarter friends for backup if needed).

probably a bad abs sensor if abs light is lit...abs sensors are used in the automatic 4X4 control module so a bad abs is the external fault to the 4x4 module imput...common to be the 1 rear abs on the differential for a 2004 ...cheap fix but hard to reach

I have same problem with my 2002 explorer. Just bought it yesterday and abs ,4x4 high lights lit up on my drive home. Need to get inspected. Will it pass with abs light on

ABS, ADVTRAC OFF, 4x4 flashing

I too am having issues with these lights on an '05 Eddie Bauer. I knew my front left hub was bad, so I replaced it. That is the 3rd hub assy in 3.5 years. All was good for about a week. Now when I turn left (1 1/2 turns on steering wheel) the 3 lights come back on. If I turn the car off and then start it, lights are normal until I turn left again. I do not have a scanner and live in a real rural area so resources are limited. Any tips on what to check without a scanner?

I would check the connector right down by your hub. Also check the routing from the hub to the connector. Sounds like the left turn could be tugging on the connector making an open and causing the error.

I would check the connector right down by your hub. Also check the routing from the hub to the connector. Sounds like the left turn could be tugging on the connector making an open and causing the error.

I had jacked the entire front off the ground. There was play in the entire travel of the wheel. Should I be able to test the sensor with a VOM as you mentioned an "open" possibly caused by tugging?

I have same problem with my 2002 explorer. Just bought it yesterday and abs ,4x4 high lights lit up on my drive home. Need to get inspected. Will it pass with abs light on

Whether an ABS sensor warning will pass your States Vehicle Inspection depends on your specific states guidelines. In New York, an ABS sensor warning or code will not fail your state inspection. Only a CEL (Check Engine Light) code or dash light icon lit up will. Get the sensor codes read at a parts store for free and make sure their code reader can read ABS codes and ask them for the code letters/numbers and write them down. It should tell you which wheel has the sensor fault or the speed sensor on the rear differential. Post the codes up in this web site and someone can help you from there in identifying the exact problem and fix.

Not arguing with your advice here or anything, but I did everything you suggested here with my vehicle and found nothing wrong with my ABS wire connections. I then went to remove the ABS connector/screw right at the hub after spraying the retaining screw down with PB Blaster first, and once I removed the retaining screw, I then slowly tried to pry up the connector from the hub, which the plastic on the connector was fused together with the rust on the hub surface and a small piece of plastic from the connector broke off when the connector finally pried free of the hub. This made the ABS sensor fault worse by going off every time I started up the vehicle where before this, it would go off when I hit a certain bump in the road every day or so. I did have slight play in the hub when I did the hub movement check after jacking up that wheel from the ground. I was never really certain what the problem was, too much hub play or bad sensor or both, but changing that hub out solved all my ABS, 4x4 high, Check Advance Trac warning lights or messages.

Back