ABS Light On & 4X4H Light Flashing (HELP) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS Light On & 4X4H Light Flashing (HELP)

chsryan

Reaction score
City, State
Fraser, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
Ok, I changed the brake pads (front and back) on my 2004 Explorer XLT a few days ago and now the ABS light has come on and while driving the 4X4 High light starts to flash. Any HELP.. When the ABS Light goes off the brakes are very "spongy" and don't work properly. The pedal slowly goes to the floor, (without the truck stopping.) I think this is the ABS not working properly.. I just don't know..

Did you open up any bleeders when you pushed the pistons back into the calipers? If that was the case, you may have introduced some air into the system which got into the ABS unit.

Regardless if you opened the bleeders or not, it sounds like there may be some air in the ABS unit, which has to be bled with a scan-tool to be done properly. I'd probably have to suggest taking it back to the dealer to have this done, even as much as I don't trust the service departments at most of them, they have the proper tools to do the job correctly.

No I didn't open any bleeder valves, I just let the fluid come back out the reservior.. Do you think this could have gotten it air locked?

Back