2004 4.6 ABS light on and 4x4 flashing, Cruise still works | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 4.6 ABS light on and 4x4 flashing, Cruise still works

Tractorguy

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer 4.6 4x4
I recently was told my brakes needed to be replaced, and shortly after a grinding started in the front when I would press the brake pedal. I drove like this for maybe two days, and then my ABS light came on, and the 4x4 light blinks off and on. I put on new pads and rotors all the way around, and the grinding stopped, and brakes work fine. Light is still on. Any help would be appreciated! FYI, My cruise control still works fine.

I would look at replacintg the front hubs. It could be the abs sensor on the hubs and grinding is probably the bearing inside the hub. The 4x4 flashing is probably tied to the hubs and it registering a vacuum leak which is causing a air leak which has frozen the 4x4 system. The grinding could also be the 4x4 is locked and might not be fully engaged or not fully disengaged. Front hubs on Explorer's are common go to bad. The comes complete with sensor and it is a sealed bearing setup. Front only are sealed unit.

Back