• Register Today It's free!

ABS light reset

Rugger

Reaction score
City, State
The Colony, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 2 Door
I have searched for ABS problems and have found that the main reason that the ABS light comes on is a faulty sensor on top of the rear end.

If I replace that part, will the ABS light reset itself?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rugger said:
I have searched for ABS problems and have found that the main reason that the ABS light comes on is a faulty sensor on top of the rear end.

If I replace that part, will the ABS light reset itself?

That sensor is not the only sourse of ABS light illumination, You need to read the code(s) before replacing components.

Good luck .....

Reactions: RSM

ABS Light

I have about 68,000 miles on my 99 explorer XLT. The ABS light came on and I replaced the faulty sensor on the top of the rearend. The part cost about $22 and took about 30 minutes to replace. All I needed was a 3/8 socket and once done, the ABS light automatically reset and no longer displayed.

thanks for the heads-up....nice to hear a happy ending now and again.

Have the same problem with my '94 XLT. I did replace the rear end sensor . . . with no luck solving the problem. I might take it to Autozone and see if they can help me.

Every time the key is shut off the ABS light will reset (shut off).

rwpuzemis said:
I might take it to Autozone and see if they can help me.

I doubt that they can read ABS codes. Good luck .......

On a 1999, I'd say you're safe to take a guess and replace the sensor, they are very common. The light may not turn off right away, you will normally have to reach 20mph before the system runs its recheck. As for the dude with the 1994, it is not the same system as the 1999.

Autozone

aldive was right....have the code read. Turns out that my abs light was due to a faulty front right sensor. Ordered the part from my local Ford dealer. Gonna cost around 79.00 just for the part.
That's all I have to say for now.....

Forgot to add, Autozone couldn't help me with the code...had a friend that had a tester that helped me out.

Back