ABS Light - Sensor? - Wire? Something Else? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS Light - Sensor? - Wire? Something Else?

BTR

Reaction score
City, State
MARIETTA, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4DR 2WD
I searched but didn't find anything helpful.

2000 Explore XLT 4-Door 2WD 4.0L SOHC 130,000 Miles. The ABS light on the dashboard is ON. I just finished replacing the front left and right UCAs. While doing this, I removed the ABS sensors from the steering knuckles. One sensor's face was dirty... I cleaned it before reinstalling it. The other sensor's face was clean.

How do I determine which side is triggering the ABS light? Can this be determined by reading the code/s?

Since the faces of the sensors are clean, and I made sure the sensors are installed correctly, what might be causing the ABS light?

Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please check for codes and post them we can tell you a ton more
This can be one of a number of things

If you don't have a code reader
Most auto parts stores can do it for free
Be sure to ask for abs codes

Is the light flashing

No, the ABS light is not flashing... it's perpetually ON. I'll run down to the auto parts store and get the code/s read... I'll report back thereafter.

More than likely the side you removed from the knuckle is the problem. You shouldn't have tried to removed it if it wasn't causing you a issue. You'll know for sure after you get the ABS code scanned.

The auto parts store read it. Said it's the left front (which is one of the areas I just worked on... new UCA). Now I just need to figure out if the face of the ABS sensor is messed up... or if the wire has somehow been damaged. Not sure how to figure this out.

Turns out this was an easy fix (rare, but nice when they happen). While replacing the UCA, the ABS sensor wire was accidentally tugged/yanked such that its male electrical connector had become slightly pulled out of the female socket. A simple push of the connector end and it snapped into place in the female socket. ABS dashboard light went OFF. Problem solved.

That connector is where you needed to disconnect it to remove the knuckle

Happy to hear you got it fixed

My wife stoped at a stop sign yesterday and the abs kicked in scared the S@%t out of her
She wouldn't drive it until one looked at it

Back