ABS light won't go off

navigator

Reaction score
City, State
Willow Springs, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I have a 94 Ranger 4banger
A lady pulled out in front of me and I had to slam on brakes to keep from hitting her. Since then the ABS light and the Brake light stay on all the time.

I checked the brakes out, and had to replace the rear shoes, it was time, and noticed one of the springs had come loose. I installed the new shoes and everything seems to be fine, but the lights won't go off.

The truck stops fine.
Any advice?

thanks,
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried disconnecting the neg battery cable for a few minutes? Maybe the computer needs to reset.

On my old ranger this used to happen all the time. Check your ABS fuse in the fus box. I just had to replace this and everything was fine from then on. You probably blem the fuse.

thanks guys

I did disconnect the battery, and I think I checked the fuse, I may replace it anyway. I didn't know if I may have messed up a wheel cylinder somehow or something, being it was the back brakes, they don't grab that much when braking anyway.

thanks again

Is it a 4wd?

If so switch in to 4wd and then out...that should reset the computer

nah, 2wd

as weak as it is, I couldn't drive it if it was a 4wd ;-)

when i just bought my ranger a couple of months ago it did the same thing! ABS works fine and the parking brake wasnt set either, and i couldnt get the light off so i just replaced the bulbs with blown ones! they arent on now!

I may try that

as a last resort.

Back