ABS light

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
My ABS light comes on constantly. It comes on when I start the vehicle and stays on until I shut the truck off. How can I scan for the trouble code? My code reader will not pull ABS codes. Can this be done without spending $$$? I would like to get it fixed since I am going to sell it come August.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine was on for years but the dealer could never find anything wrong and just kept replacing sensors, then it just went out all by it self. Not sure if the bulb burnt out or what.

check brakes. check brake pressure.

Mine came on because i had a bad caliper. It wouldnt hold pressure completely.

So yes, it can be fixed for free hopefully. Try bleeding the brakes, thats why that light comes on usually is low fluid/presure.

If that doesnt fix the issue, its more then likley a broken wire or something grounding out along the ABS system.

Also the abs sensor did not like a rotor that was put on fo some reason. Do you brakes work fine?

Brakes work fine. I recently replaced the rotors and pads on the front. Had ABS light issues before that, still have them now. Fluid level is perfect, lines are bled. :(

Check all those sensors at the rotors and at the rear diffy. follow the wires back to the control module. Make sure nothing is crimped, caught, disconnected, or frail. Thats the issue more then likley. unless your ABS thing is about to go out, which i doubt.

Also I forgot to mention; the light does not come on every time I start the truck. It does it randomly. Seems to come on more often when its hot out. Seems odd.

now is this a 4 wheel abs or a rabs system(rear abs)????If it is rabs, there is a wire you can ground out and get the flash codes from it....if it is abs,then you should be able to get a code reader to retrieve the codes from the test port under the hood

You need to get the ABS scanned and get the code(s) that is illuminating the ABS light.

Good luck ........

Al, how would I go about getting the ABS codes pulled on my 94?

snocross1985 said:
Al, how would I go about getting the ABS codes pulled on my 94?

Sorry, my friend, I have no clue on a '94.

On my '99, my OBD II scanner does not read ABS codes, so I had to go to a friend's repair garage and get him to scan for the code.

Good luck .......

86caprirs said:
now is this a 4 wheel abs or a rabs system(rear abs)????If it is rabs, there is a wire you can ground out and get the flash codes from it....if it is abs,then you should be able to get a code reader to retrieve the codes from the test port under the hood

Its 4 wheel abs.

snocross1985 said:
Also I forgot to mention; the light does not come on every time I start the truck. It does it randomly. Seems to come on more often when its hot out. Seems odd.

I have the same problem on my 94, damn light turns on when it feels like it.
there is a abs diagnostic connector under the hood on the driver side fender,
it should have a red cap. so there should be a tester just for it. i'd buy one
but since my abs works whether it's on or not (yes i've checked) i just
write it off to having a "a$$-backwards-system" light on. :roll:

Back