• Register Today It's free!

ABS light on

vamustangman

Reaction score
City, State
Falls Church, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
My ABS light has been on for a while and I had a leak in my rear wheel cylinders so I figured that was the problem. So I took it to a brake shop this week had the cylinders fixed but my ABS light is still on. I have a code reader and I hooked it up to the computer behind the fuse box near the firewall and no codes came back. Is there a different connecter to read the RABS codes or is it just they didn't clear the code when they fixed my brakes? Its a 1991 4 door Explorer XLT. Thanks for any help. :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had similar problems with the RABS and let me tell you you are probably better off if you can get the RABS removed or bypassed. You might need a sensor or a control module and those can run in the range of 300-600 to get replaced. If you really know what you are doing, or if you have enough cash then go ahead and get the code read. Maybe you can find a decent brake guy to check all this out for free and give you an honest estimate.

Good luck, maybe somone else can give you a better answer here too.

Joseph

Mine's doing the same thing. I take it that it's a common problem with the 91-94 models. Let me know if you find a good solution for this. It's annoying to see on my dash.

deejaynetmix said:
Mine's doing the same thing. I take it that it's a common problem with the 91-94 models. Let me know if you find a good solution for this. It's annoying to see on my dash.

Yeah, I don't like seeing it lit up on the gauge cluster either. I asked a friend what he thought, and that smartass told me to put some electrical tape over the lights. :rolleyes:

I took the dash apart and removed the bulb.

93 Sport: FYI If your ABS light is on it means your ABS System will not engage when braking. My ABS light came on intermittently when I pressed the brakes hard. It would go off when I restarted the car. That problem went away when I got new drums (they were at 2%). The problem was the brake cylinders were over extending to stop the car. I never saw the light again until I drove in 4x4 Low with out engaging the hubs. After that the light came on every time I turned on the car and never went off. I had the code reset by a shop and it’s never been a problem since.

BrooklynBay said:
Autozone could read the codes for free.
Really? You just go in and ask them to do it?

If so Autozone rocks. The Midas guy wanted $80 to read the codes.

Joseph.

My light use to go off and on. I got the brakes replaced and then the light stayed on. Took it back to the place and it hasn't come back on. Don't know what they did but I can still feel the ABS kicking on when I really need them. I had electrical tape over it before getting my brakes fixed.

DeerSlayer said:
93 Sport: FYI If your ABS light is on it means your ABS System will not engage when braking.

LOL, thanks captain obvious!!

j/k :p

From what I gather about the brake system is you have a proportional valve that makes the pressure even in the front & back. If you had a leak in the system, the valve could possibly slide to the leak side & bottom out. If that happens, your system will think there is no brakes on that side & ABS light will come on with no ABS.
I'm sure you bled the system after fixing the leak, but if I recall there is a procedure for resetting the valve. I think it's a manual "unplug one side & slide back" type of thing, but not sure.
Can't miss the valve, follow your front brake lines from master down under the truck. Should be on the driver side near the tranny.
Hope this makes sense & helps
Walter

I had the same problem for about two years, I gave my explorer to my girlfirend so I had to fix the problem.
Took it to ford, they said it was the rabs valve. It's kinda under the driver seat inside the frame.
They wanted $512 to fix it.
I went to Napa,
Item#: UP 570030
Price: $149.00
Core: $35.00
Heres a pic of the part,
abs500005-7-T.gif

Had a shop change it for 75 bucks, and the light is off and stays off.
total $224.
Oh yeah Napa calls it a Modulator Valve.

the abs light comes on in my truck when i turn the key to start position too
fast. when i go to start it, i have to "pause" at the on position and wait for
the fuel pump to pressure up. then start, and the light turns off. now when
the light was on and i was driving and had to do some hard braking, the abs
system was still working! go figure.

Mine did that too 94xlt. That is a computer issue due to the 'hard braking' you performed. Just shut the truck all the way off for a second & restart & it should reset the light (worked for me). My wrench bud says the light comes on when the system is on (like the 4x4 light). Sometimes when it stops the light stays on & you have to reset the computer.

ya, it's a hit or miss thing, i've become used to it. most likely it needs a good flushing, which is on my very long to-do list. thanks for the input though. :thumbsup:

My ABS light is on to, but i disconnected mine after i slid into a mailbox this last winter, i think the ABS system is to slow, and it comes on way to much, and ive got new rotors, calipers, pads, drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, and all, sorry i couldnt be any help though, ive got a snap-on MODIS 4 sale though and it will connect to the ABS test port, and tell you exactally what is up...

dizzy6984 said:
My ABS light is on to, but i disconnected mine after i slid into a mailbox this last winter, i think the ABS system is to slow, and it comes on way to much, and ive got new rotors, calipers, pads, drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, and all, sorry i couldnt be any help though, ive got a snap-on MODIS 4 sale though and it will connect to the ABS test port, and tell you exactally what is up...
Would you mine telling me how to disconnect it? Is there a simple wire I can pull that will forever free me of this way too expensive and poorly made brake system?

If my brakes work I don't need a light telling me they don't all the darn time. :fire:

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

westcovinajoe said:
Would you mine telling me how to disconnect it? Is there a simple wire I can pull that will forever free me of this way too expensive and poorly made brake system?

If my brakes work I don't need a light telling me they don't all the darn time. :fire:

Thanks!
Well for me when i pulled the rotors off to do my upper and lower ball joints i took off the ABS sensor off the steering knuckle, but all that did was turn the light on...
If i were you ide pull the fuse for the ABS system, then pull the dash trim piece off, and pull the light bulb for the ABS light, thats what i did... of a nice piece of black tape over the light will always do... LOL

Back