• Register Today It's free!

abs speed sensor

mjworks247

Reaction score
City, State
purdue university
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 sport trac xlt
Well my abs light came on last night, scanned the code and my passenger front sensor has is the culprit. I know being 4x4 its located in the hubs, I saw on summit they sell the wheel speed sensor for the front. Can the sensor be replaced without replacing the hub?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its a hard choice to make, since the sensor costs about the same as a new hub. Although a new hub comes with the abs sensor I believe looking at the rock auto page.

hub and sensor come together as an assembly you'll have the hub/bearing then a long electrical cord that snakes around to a plug on the front of the wheel well splash sheild

The sensor and hub are one piece it can be unbolted but the average person would be wasting time trying to reinstall it correctly.

After changing a whole hub, I managed, with little trouble, to get the anti-lock sensor out of the old housing. It had a bunch of tiny shards of metal stuck to it but not an alarming amount. I wonder if just cleaning this and reinstalling might be cost effective until the bearings actually go physically bad?

thats my thing is im away at college and dont have time to run home to fix it, so it seems clear that I'm better off changing the whole assembly. I might do both sides now.

Well try it and do a write up if it works.

Haha I just realized I put pizza. Still not used to autocorrect on my phone

Back