AC blows hot - compressor works - low pressure side VERY high | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC blows hot - compressor works - low pressure side VERY high

Barnesfamily5

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
1st post
My wife's A.C. suddenly started blowing hot. She said the belt made a screeching sound and she turned it off, waited a bit and to turn back on and it made the sound again. She shut off the motor and waited awhile and then turned it on and no sound from the belt but there was a burning rubber like smell. I came home and looked under the hood to see the belt is fine and the compressor is spinning when it should. I hooked up a do yourself kit an saw the pressure was over 120. I gave it a litte squirt (cuz I'm dumb like that) and the gauge dropped and then went back up after I stopped but a burning rubber type smell came from the compressor area a few seconds later.

I'm at a loss. It's blowing hot air but every thing else seems to be fine.

Help please

My guess your compressor is going bad or is shut. The smell is when the AC pulley does not spin but belt slides on it with the engine running, maybe a few seconds thing but enough to rub the belt and smoke it. It may snap eventually. Can you watch the AC compressor with engine running and someone switching the AC on and off ?

My guess your compressor is going bad or is shut. The smell is when the AC pulley does not spin but belt slides on it with the engine running, maybe a few seconds thing but enough to rub the belt and smoke it. It may snap eventually. Can you watch the AC compressor with engine running and someone switching the AC on and off ?

Pulley spins and so does the compressor clutch when turned on.

I checked the blend door actuator. I took off the cover to the actuator and the gears are fine, I checked the electric motor and that works too. My next guess would be a switch within the system. :mad:

Back