• Register Today It's free!

AC issue

PotatoSmasher

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey fellows, hope you’re all having a good week. I’ve tried searching for the particular issue I’m having, but couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for. I’ve got a 97 explorer with the 4.0 SOHC under the hood. For the past month when I turn on the AC for the first time of the day, the AC makes a nasty grinding sound as soon as the compressor clutch engages. If it doesn’t make the grinding sound the engine will almost die but the rpm will return to normal after. Both of these only happen when I turn the AC on for the first time of the day, then the AC works perfectly normal from that point on. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first off, welcome to EF! hope you dont take offense, but i got a good laugh at the username!!! 🤣 imo, not too experienced w AC, but sounds like the compressor clutch is on its way out? could also be overcharged. however, i suspect maybe low oil, as the compressor lacks lubrication at startup, but gains sufficient overtime. if it lacks lubrication, there would be more friction, and it will try to compensate for that by raising idle, so it sounds to me like lack of oil? if not, maybe the clutch engaging the first time? hope some of this helps!

@PotatoSmasher

Sounds like between the combination of the grinding noise when the A/C is turned on and the truck stalling I'd wager that your compressor has "frozen" up.

Not frozen by being too cold, but rather the piston in it that compress' and circulates the freon has become stuck.

Hope that helps -

ac-compressor-inside-702x468 (1).jpg

I think it’s just a failing clutch. If the compressor was locked I believe it’d shred the belt in a few minutes. I’d just short belt it for now before it leaves you stranded. Just an FYI the AC works in every setting except feet only.

Or vent only, I believe

Hey fellows, hope you’re all having a good week. I’ve tried searching for the particular issue I’m having, but couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for. I’ve got a 97 explorer with the 4.0 SOHC under the hood. For the past month when I turn on the AC for the first time of the day, the AC makes a nasty grinding sound as soon as the compressor clutch engages. If it doesn’t make the grinding sound the engine will almost die but the rpm will return to normal after. Both of these only happen when I turn the AC on for the first time of the day, then the AC works perfectly normal from that point on. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Sound like the clutch bearing. If the compressor lock up, the engine with stall.
Keep the vent control to off position While driving the explorer. A quick check is with the engine and AC system off, just try to shake the clutch in and out(12&6), if the bearing is bad ,it will move. I believe nasty grinding sound is the clutch bearing. Anyway just a note, its easy and cheaper too buy a new AC compressor complete, than a bearing ( easy repair, if you can get one).

Thanks for the input everyone. I really appreciate it 👍

Thanks for the input everyone. I really appreciate it 👍
I am certainly not an expert but in my case in my 96 exp 4.0 ohv I got by an extra year by adding some oil (via the low side) and 134a (via the low side) however despite dye I could not find the slow leak I had but it stopped the compressor noise and kept the system cooling for better part of a year.
Got to where I had to add freon twice a month so I bought ALL new parts from Rock Auto for under $500 and just replaced all system components. I know that is open heart surgery for a head cold- but it turned in to a one and done weekend to fix the system.

Really wasn't too bad and 3 years later it's still cold.

Now all that being said I'd try a new compressor and while you are at it make sure your replace the ORAFICE TUBE. If you have an AC refrigerant reclaimer then I'd definitely do it in stages to find the weak link.......I didn't want to keep filling the system and venting it into the atmosphere so that's why I did the whole system at one time. Best of luck!

Replace compressor. It's shot. Do not use. If it fails & does lock, your going to get black death & every AC component will need to be replaced.

Back