Rough idle issue, where to look next? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough idle issue, where to look next?

Brem95

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Explorer Sport OHV
Good afternoon hope all is well. I’ve been chasing a rough idle which seems to be all the time. Basically it runs fine then every so often I hear a clutch type
Clicking sound then it fluctuates until it clicks again and goes back to normal. (This happens even with ac off) I’ve changed the plugs, wires, that valve that causes issues was replaced last fall due to a check engine light. What else should I be looking at? I’m taking my truck for a 2500-3000 km road trip shortly and want to make sure it’s running well and have no major issues on road.

I realize I sound dumb in this post trying to describe but I’m hoping it makes sense!

Maybe a video of the issue could help give more insight into the issue?

Ac compressor will cycle on and off in n all modes except floor vent. I think your symptoms are normal, however cleaning the iac valve may help stabilize the idle speed .

Good afternoon hope all is well. I’ve been chasing a rough idle which seems to be all the time. Basically it runs fine then every so often I hear a clutch type
Clicking sound then it fluctuates until it clicks again and goes back to normal. (This happens even with ac off) I’ve changed the plugs, wires, that valve that causes issues was replaced last fall due to a check engine light. What else should I be looking at? I’m taking my truck for a 2500-3000 km road trip shortly and want to make sure it’s running well and have no major issues on road.

I realize I sound dumb in this post trying to describe but I’m hoping it makes sense!
Check your air filter and the MAF sensor look at the element

Back