accident>>>ARRRRGH! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

accident>>>ARRRRGH!

pechroc1

Reaction score
So i had a hard impact on the right side of my 02 x sport causing a camber issue with the top of the front right wheel goes in when driving forward and back out when in reverse(not a wobble but constant camber). SO... i replaced upper and lowers arms (including all new joints and bushings) and a complete rack and pinion with new ends and i still have the same issue. the degree of camber may have gotten slightly better but is still pretty severe. What else could it be?

ps. there is no frame damage that i can see. i can take pics if anyone would think it would help. thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Frame damage.... If you replaced everything and still have camber/caster ---- frame damage...

Frame damage.... If you replaced everything and still have camber/caster ---- frame damage...

but whats getting me confused is the way the it presents itself with the wheel in one position while rolling forward and the opposite in reverse. and while changing everything i would have seen a cracked mount or something... no?

From what I can gather if you have directional travel in forward and directional travel in REV then either you have a bad gasket/bushing/hard-ware or frame damage. The only way to tell is to scope out the frame and or replace all the pieces. In the passed whn I have had a curb-to-wheel impact I have had to replace everything from Ball - Joints to tires... There is no Silver Bullet here

How hard was the impact? I had a similar accident last winter but it was a 25 mph impact square on the P/S wheel. I had bent inner & outer tie rods and a bent axle. You would notice a wobble on that side if any of those happened to you.

I'm assuming you've already done this, but have you tried adjusting the camber?

But I agree with ragajungle, it sounds like you may have frame damage. It doesn't take much to throw things off.

Another thing to check: the hub/wheel bearing. I had to replace the P/S side after the accident and it can certainly throw off the camber.

As a young retarded driver - I smoked too much ***[poking smot] and smashed my Chinese food delivery car (a 2000 Ford Contour) into a curb at 25 MPH and it was trashed.... New Tie-Rods, Ball Joints, A-Frame, Rack and pinion, and R&P Bushings and the damn car still never steered straight... Needless to say I was fired and the Contour never drove str8 again... God am I a loser.

As a young retarded driver - I smoked too much ***[poking smot] and smashed my Chinese food delivery car (a 2000 Ford Contour) into a curb at 25 MPH and it was trashed.... New Tie-Rods, Ball Joints, A-Frame, Rack and pinion, and R&P Bushings and the damn car still never steered straight... Needless to say I was fired and the Contour never drove str8 again... God am I a loser.

Ha, Chinese food will do that to you..wait, you said you smoked pot? ;)

Not a loser mate, just dont poke smot and drive and if 3rd gens had a torsion bar Id say that was buggered. I was watching the monster trucks the other day, bloke busted the torsion bar and his wheel was doing exactly the same as yours : top in forward, out in reverse... we dont have a torsion bar in 3rd gens do we?

Who is Smot? Do you have a picture of her?

Not a loser mate, just dont poke smot and drive and if 3rd gens had a torsion bar Id say that was buggered. I was watching the monster trucks the other day, bloke busted the torsion bar and his wheel was doing exactly the same as yours : top in forward, out in reverse... we dont have a torsion bar in 3rd gens do we?

my 02 sport is a 2nd gen. the torsion bar was fine. everything bolted back up easy. the front control arm bushings were smacked up and the outer tie rod ends were twisted, but other than that not anything i could tell was bent.

Who is Smot? Do you have a picture of her?

Still shouldnt poke smot and drive, even if she is hot.
and glad your torsion bar is still good.

my 02 sport is a 2nd gen. the torsion bar was fine. everything bolted back up easy. the front control arm bushings were smacked up and the outer tie rod ends were twisted, but other than that not anything i could tell was bent.

Except Ragajungle while delivering chinese food.:D

Back