• Register Today It's free!

acrylic/plexi boxes...

Saleen_SR71

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 EB 5.0
good or bad? my friend said that getting an all acrylic box would cancel out my subs... by bouncing the waves back at the sub...

he said to go with half MDF and half acrylic...

i wanted to do a half inch acrylic box ported.

i mean ive never heard any complaints about acrylic boxes...

so whats your 411 on this?

i was thinking of a design like this...
Code:
|  __  |  |  __  |
|_/__\_|  |_/__\_|

or would i have to seperate the subs for this type of port?
Code:
|  __  | | |  __  |
|_/__\_| | |_/__\_|

with either design i would do something with the acrylic... like the top of the box, the front, and the port wall... and maybe the side walls

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

-The only thing bad about acrylic I have HEARD, is that you typically have to go with a thicker acrylic than say an equivalent piece of MDF, because of the strength or something... If your subs aren't that heavy, then I could see .5" acrylic being okay?

-In my experience, I played with an all acrylic box in person, and I didn't see any flexing or anything, sub sounded OK, but it was a sealed box, made by Gately....

-You never HAVE to seperate the subs, (at least in terms of commonly used enclosures), sometimes its easier to have a shared chamber, my current winter sealed enclosure is shared chamber.. no problems... My next SPL enclosure will be shared chamber I believe...

Hows about doing just the back in acrylic? Its certainly not gonna be fun getting all that acrylic cut perfect, sealed properly anywhoo.. less you have awesome tools, or a hookup then I'm jealous :)

actually i was just going to get the pieces made specificly to the size they have to be.

subs are like 65lbs each... so im guessing 3/4" acrylic for the front? and the rest i was thinking ½" acrylic as it wouldnt be supporting anything (plus using all 3/4" acrylic would get expensive! $22.89 for a 3/4" square foot, and $13.60 for a ½" square foot)

IMO i dislike shared, sealed enclosures... because if the air space isnt enough, then they just about sound like crap... thats just what i think... the stereo shop put a shared air space box in his silverado (2 10's)... and it sounded bad, then i seperated the box and it sounded a lot better

so i should go with the first design? the main reason for the acrylic is... well my car is completely lit up with lights exterior wise (will get newer pictures soon)... all im missing is the interior lighting... and the sub box would fullfill my idea of the interior lighting.

as for the awsome tools... i doubt that... i got a RotoZip... and a SkillSaw (diamond blade... but i think thats used for tiles, i got other blades for it too, i doubt any for cutting plastic, so the RotoZip would be my weapon of choice)

for 65lb subs I'd do 3/4" at least, you could even double that up if you wanted. I remember you have x..'s now....

If the enclosure is designed well, shared airspace works fine too...
Pics are mandatory BTW!

hahahha alright... i think ill try just a plain single sheet of 3/4 and if that doesnt work out then ill buy a 1" sheet (*note this is only for the part that the subs sits on)

Back