Actron Pocketscan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Actron Pocketscan

alphabets13

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer Premier
does this scanner come with everything i need to start scanning? i ask b/c some of the higher end models come with all these different plug adapters and such, will this one plug into my 96 and do the job? or do you suggest a different scanner in a similar price range? i can get this from sears for $79.99.

http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16298
d_88.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This will scan your system and tell you the codes. You will have the choice to erase the code and reset your CEL. That's pretty much all you really need if that's what you want it to do. Seems ok for the price, but I think you can get a cheaper one at harbor freight. And yes it'll work - 16 pin connector :thumbsup:

-Drew

Actron bill this as a "code reader" meaning that all this can do is pull trouble codes from the computer. I don't know if it can pull manufacturer specific codes or not. If all you need is the ability to pull trouble codes, this will likely be adequate. If you want more functionality (the ability to monitor engine parameters and so on), then you'll want to keep looking.

MrShorty said:
Actron bill this as a "code reader" meaning that all this can do is pull trouble codes from the computer. I don't know if it can pull manufacturer specific codes or not. If all you need is the ability to pull trouble codes, this will likely be adequate. If you want more functionality (the ability to monitor engine parameters and so on), then you'll want to keep looking.
no, i checked, and it looks like the higher end models from actron pull manufacturer specific codes, but not this one. i checked and i can get the higher end model for about $125 on ebay. a little more than i wanted o spend.

BrooklynBay said:
The cheapest one that I saw was on Harbor Freight for under $50. It is on sale now for under $40. The model # is 46030. Here is the link: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46030
yep, thats the only one i could find that cheap on there also. i think i would rather the actron b/c i can erase the codes and whatnot. might be worth the little bit more $$. but i'm still trying to find a better one on ebay still. the search continues ;)

alphabets13 said:
yep, thats the only one i could find that cheap on there also. i think i would rather the actron b/c i can erase the codes and whatnot. might be worth the little bit more $$. but i'm still trying to find a better one on ebay still. the search continues ;)

You can erase the codes with that one. I have one of those.

I have the Actron PocketScan and the Harbor Freight scanner.

If you plan on scanning other vehicles too, I would sway towards the Actron because the Harbor Freight one does not read imports (tried it on 2 hondas, and one subaru : failed to scan them).

IZwack said:
I have the Actron PocketScan and the Harbor Freight scanner.

If you plan on scanning other vehicles too, I would sway towards the Actron because the Harbor Freight one does not read imports (tried it on 2 hondas, and one subaru : failed to scan them).
i am leaning towards the actron one, but the two i have listed above from ebay look real nice as well. they are not the name brand like actron, but can do alot more and have a warranty, so i may try one of them.

well if u get one of the ones from Ebay, make sure you post a review ;) Also, see if it works with other vehicles (if you have other vehicles) - and more importantly, the imports.

Cuation, I have the pocket scan and it works great, BUT it will not pull all codes. I had some transmission codes that would not come through the pocket scan.
Other then that it is a great tool for the price and works easy and well on all the 97+ fords I have used it on.
It can also clear the computer memory as well as read codes. I keep my pocket scan in the truck, its small, requires no batteries and works as promised.

I picked up a Scantool.net laptop interface for the more detailed scanning features. Awesome product if you have a desktop or laptop near your truck.

Autozone has the Actron CP9135 listed on the website for $99.

I have seen it elsewhere for $97. plus free shipping.

I picked up a new Pocketscan off E-bay recently for $40... as a gift for a friend. I cannot really comment on it's level of functionality though, as all I did was show my friend where his port was and how to hook it up.

it works fine, I keep mine in the truck :) I paid less then $80 new from Pep Boys

Walmart has two different ones the more expensive one also pulls manufacturer specific codes, but they both erase. I like the more expensive one(have it)

Back