"Adaptive Shift Strategy" on 5R55E trans. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Adaptive Shift Strategy" on 5R55E trans.

dean63

Reaction score
City, State
Cadillac,MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
"94 and 04"
I was curious as to some of the problems that the 2004-5 Explorers have been having with their "Adaptive Shift Strategy" 5R55E transmissions. From my understanding Ford also introduced the "Drive by Wire" technology on the 2004 Explorer. Anyway, cutting to the chase, my biggest question would be is mating the two technoligies together a good idea? The first time driving our 2004 Ford Explorer was an interesting learning curve for both my spouse and I. Doing research with actual Ford documentation (retreived from this site!) in which it states you have the engine having to learn the drivers habits as well as the transmission.....interesting! Curious as to if a lot of unnecessary transmission repairs were made just because of the operating characteristics of the engine/transmission combo?

No Probs here,

Whenever I have to disconnect the battery and the comp goes on a learning curve, I drive like a grandma, and go up this long 5-6 mile hill w/cruise on, after returning down the hill it shifts like it always has and gives me close to 340 miles to tank on premium fuel<all I run>. I like to stomp the pedal like everyone else but during the learning period I consider that a no-no. You can always remove the fuse or disconnect the battery if you did something you think might have upset things, but remember it's adaptive so it will change it's shift style to match yours. No lurching here and no weirdness. Love the beastie. Just got a new set of BFG radial All-terrain TA KO's and the handling is way inpressive. Put in the performance sport shocks and now I can take ramps @ 40-43 mph and no squealing! Just have to figure out if the reason the AL's are cycling on light braking to stop - is worn inner pads? (the shop didn't say anything about them) so I'm thinking is a dirty sensor as it does not illuminate the lamp and pulls to the left a bit is the right front brake.
Getting the kinks out. Later!

found the answer for the als

the left front bearing and sensor were out of whack and the bearing needed replacement, is under warranty. gonna check it out after they finish today at noon.

Back