Add a Leaf

OffTrac

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac 4x4
Finished the add a leaf tonight, removed the Warrior shackles and reinstalled the stock shackles. The result was an extra 1/2" on each side but I'll have to update after they settle. The ride is definitely more stiff but it's not that drastic and I think I like it.

I purchased the Pro Comp 13120 Add-a-Leaf. The kit contains two and comes with 3/8 and 5/16 grade 8 hardware and I used the 3/8 but had to cut the bolt and rethread the end because the ones they send are over 5". $34.10 to my door with free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007Y5W66/ref=pe_175190_21431760_cs_sce_dp_1

Thanks to V8BoatBuilder's write-up. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97676 I didn't follow it exactly because I tend to do projects like this in my own ways but this thread has a lot of good information including the responses from others.

This is one of those projects that I would not try without an impact wrench.

I will update with pictures and final lift height after settling.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Curious... why did u remove the shackles? Is the AAL not compatible with the shackles on?

You can run both. I would have more lift than needed/wanted with both. I could also tell the shackles were starting to flatten my leafs. The shackles were a good quick and easy 1.5" but after doing a lot of reading about them, I figured an add-a-leaf did what I needed better. I'll probably lose a little flex but I'm ok with that. If I had to do it over again and read deeper than just seeing the shackle lift as the most popular quick lift, I would have gone with add-a-leaf first. For most cases, I think they're probably fine. Just didn't suit what I wanted right now. Who knows, I may put some back on in the future?

ill be looking forward to your update. ive been on the same page with you for about a month now. i noticed my leafs starting to flatten as well, and gman has talked me into looking into aal as well. thanks for the post.

would the AAL help out with my explorer lean thats developing haha

Curious... why did u remove the shackles? Is the AAL not compatible with the shackles on?

Shackles also add instability, which is i'll be going to stock shackles w/ AAL shortly. I'll be waiting on the updates Offtrac

Aal would def help the explorer lean. I also swapped the passenger side leaf spring with the drivers side when I added the leaf.did wonders for my lean...another awesome tip I learned from this forum

Somehow my driver's side is actually nearly a half inch higher than the passenger's. Can't explain it but I'll accept it.

I just got off work and will have to update later. Besides, it's raining. Please forgive me.

Lot's of detailed pictures or it didn't happen.

C'mon man! I wouldn't lie to ya; this is the internets.:D Been working too much, earning too little, studying more than I'm learning and it's been raining during the day and surprisingly dark at night. To be honest, it'll probably be Tuesday before I can get any pictures. Besides, I'm just making sure it completely settles so I can give the most accurate description. :mattmoon:

Pull up your big boy panties.:bsnicker::wavey:

Quiti'yer *****in'. :D

I just wanted to see what it looked like and how much lift it gives before I get the leafsprings installed with the WP shackles. If I can extend the life of this set of leafsprings by changing to a add a leaf setup in stead of the shackles then I'd rather go that route. I wasn't sure if the add a leaf will help or hinder the lefpack with all the towing/ hauling I do with my Trac since the spring goes on top of the overload spring.

I like the added firmness I got with an AAL. Mine settled a good bit after a week or so. My sport has 4 door leaves, AAL and lift shackles and it still sits pretty close to level with only about 1 inch of TT. I wouldn't be shocked if you put the shackles back on. Then again I'm not sure how your ST sits, mine started with terrible sag so my AAL basically negated my sagging.

Jerry, I don't see an AAL hurting. It will help you handle the weight better. My friend put a set in his ranger because he will haul his quad in the bed, he loves the addition of the AAL.

If your leafs are already sagging, or have the lean, extended shackles will only make it worse in time.

Add leafs, and keep the stock shackles for older leaf packs is the way to go IMO.

If you have new leaf packs, or packs made for mad flex, & off road, they can handle the shackles better. Since almost all of us are just looking to help the existing leaf packs from age, AAL are better, as they help the weak springs.

Cause:
You change the pivot point when you use shackles.

Effect:
More weight is placed on the rear bushing, and causes that point to wear faster then the fronts. This is called inverting. Inverting is when the rear main leaf starts to flatten, then bends the opposite direction.

AAL, just add strength/support, and cause lift, as they "cradle" the entire pack evenly. They do make the packs stiffer, but if your towing, or hauling, this is a good thing. Towing or hauling with shackles will speed up the inverting even more, as the trailer tongue weight, and the rear vehicle weight is all placed on the rear bushing.

Make sense?

Gman, this is why I wanna make sure the add a leaf is good for my use before ordering them, stock shackles and sell my WP shackles.

My original leafs were flattening and inverting from years of towing and hauling with the WP shackles. I'm buying a set from Steve to replace the ones that were buckled in the accident two weeks ago.

Here's the truck as it sits.

IMG_3590.jpg

The wheel wells are both at a nice, even 41.5" from the ground. When I measured before doing this, the driver's side was at 42" and the passenger's side was 41.5" (go figure my Ranger-lean was backward). So, I figure the lift came out equal to the shackles, added some strength and prolonged the life of my leaf springs.

Here's the add-a-leaf. Consider that before the add-a-leaf, the pack was resting flat with the helper spring.

IMG_3588.jpg

IMG_3589.jpg

I am very much pleased.:bounce:

Wow that did help alot. Truck looks great. I've read elsewhere that the short style doesn't last as long as the long style. But looks good regardless.

Thanks man. I've been wanting to do something better for the rear suspension since I tow and haul alot. Will this still work once I do my SOA?

I maybe selling my WP shackles with upgraded 9/16" grade 8 bolts and hardware and going back to slightly modified stockers (I'm gonna make them stronger). I also might be selling my chrome taillights as well.

Wow that did help alot. Truck looks great. I've read elsewhere that the short style doesn't last as long as the long style. But looks good regardless.

Thanks. Good to know. Maybe I'll add a long one as well in the future. Or hell, at $34, I'll just replace it, lol. It's really nowhere near as stiff as I expected. Kinda just feels like a bigger rear sway bar.

Jerry, I don't see why not. Although, with SOA, you may want to consider stronger but more flat leafs so you don't end up with your rear way up in the air.

Jerry, I don't see why not. Although, with SOA, you may want to consider stronger but more flat leafs so you don't end up with your rear way up in the air.

Don't forget that the more you lift the suspension you run the risk of having to lengthen driveshaft too. M.O.R.E. SOA spring perches have 3 holes in them for adjustability which are the ones I have ordered. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRE-98107/

I have a trailer I tow as well quite a bit so I was eyeballing leafs off an '88 'burban to cut down and add to the ex's leafs. Or any vehicle that has 2.5" leafs and higher GVWR.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll be doing the SAS when I do the SOA so the front will match the rear in height.

Back