Adding a backup / rearview camera | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding a backup / rearview camera

Thanks Jason,

I recently picked up an IDS/VCM2 and am starting to tinker. Already worked on the courtesy lighting, and now I need to figure out the rear door locks so my passengers feel less criminal :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently picked up an IDS/VCM2 and am starting to tinker. Already worked on the courtesy lighting, and now I need to figure out the rear door locks so my passengers feel less criminal :p

If the rear doors aren't unlocking, the reason might be that the child safety locks are engaged and/or the door mechanism rods/cables are disconnected. I don't think there is a rear power door lock disable in the computer settings.

See THIS POST for instructions on how to undo the factory door locks disable.

Also, if the rear power windows are disabled, there is nothing in the computer settings to change. There is a connector behind the driver's seat under the floor mat by the B pillar that you just have to reconnect to enable the rear power windows.

P-005_2013_Police_Interceptor_Rear_Window_Control_Disable.pdf

(Edit) Sorry for being off topic and derailing this thread ... I now return you to discussion on the topic of adding a Rear View Camera

I installed a back up cam on my 1996 XLT. i mounted it to the top of my license plate. ran the power wire from the back up light to power the cam and ran the cable from the cam up to the stero for display. I had to find the wire under the drivers side kisk panel that goes hot when in reverse to trigger the display, but it all works great. I will find a nice cam to mount into the rear hatch under the handle for a more permanate install, but for now the license plate mount is working great.

Hi,
I have a 2015 Explorer Base model. I am upgrading the to the Sync 3 8" screen and want to install a rear camera. Does anyone know if the base model has the same wiring harness as all the other models? If so has anyone performed this and have a parts list or know where I can go to get a parts list? Thanks for the info.

Hi,
I have a 2015 Explorer Base model. I am upgrading the to the Sync 3 8" screen and want to install a rear camera. Does anyone know if the base model has the same wiring harness as all the other models? If so has anyone performed this and have a parts list or know where I can go to get a parts list? Thanks for the info.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one on much the same topic. It was found using the handy 'Search' feature at the top right. There are a few more as well.
Are you looking to upgrade your current system to Sync 3?

Peter

Back