Autodimming Autolamps Slider Switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Autodimming Autolamps Slider Switch

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
City, State
Hoover, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited 3.5L
So I put in one of the round versions of the autodimming/autolamp mirrors on my 2000 Ranger. Its the one with no buttons, just the slider switch. The only problem is that the slider doesn't really work to well. It won't switch off until pressure is applied to the switch to the the left and as soon as I let go the lights come back on. Also when trying to adjust the sensitivity of the light sensors it won't work. The slider feels really loose. I was wondering if anyone had this problem, has anyone taken appart the mirror and/or replaced this slider.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine did the same thing when I first played with it. The lights kept popping on, even though it was in the off position. I slammed the slider to the left and haven't touched it since...

Mine did the same thing when I first played with it. The lights kept popping on, even though it was in the off position. I slammed the slider to the left and haven't touched it since...

So you just leave yours off all the time?

I like the function I just really want to change the delay and the sensitivity.

Yeah. I don't trust it after I couldn't get it off a few times.

I just bought another one, and the same darn thing. The switch is crap. Is there any way to repair these things? BTW I took one of them apart (nice to know I have a backup in case anything went wrong), the slider looks like a "park bench" with no back and the switch wraps around from the bottom to the sides. I'm wondering if I could rig up something to replace the crappy one. Something that would look nice, not jerry rigged.

An update:

Its called a slide potentiometer. I think you can buy this part and resolder it to the circuit board. I called Gentex's Technical department but the main tech guy is out of town until the 14th, so if I find out what kind the pot is I will post on here for anyone that wants to fix this. I haven't had time to really check the pot, but its most likely the reason that its not working.

sliding potentiometer

Did you find out what potentiometer to buy and replace?

No I just found another mirror that worked.

I have the same problem and would rather just not have auto lamps at all. Is it possible to just bypass the potentiometer and have them in the off position permanently?

If you want to kill auto lamps all together then you need to cut and tape up a wire.

There is a white/purple wire that runs from the mirror down the driver side a-pillar that grounds out the park lamps and head lamp relay.

If you cut this the mirror can't turn on the relays that turn the lights on.

Also, there are two power wires to the mirror. One that is hot at all times (light green/yellow) and one that is hot turning ignition (red/yellow).

The mirror uses the (LG/Y) to have power when you turn the car off. I would think if this wire is then autolamps may still work with the car on but as soon as you turn the ignition switch off the lamps will turn off no mater what the pot setting is. Either this or cut the (LG/Y) and take the mirror side of the wire and splice into the R/Y wire. That way both wires are Hot only during ignition.

Tape up all unused wires.

Same problem I had with my 98 XLT. PITA! Tried cleaning the switch, fixing the slide, etc.. Finally bought a replacement mirror from Amazon and all is well. The real issue is getting the old one off the windshield mount. Got to be real careful not to mess up the glass.

Here's another thought I was having. What if I just replace the mirror with one from a newer Ford like this one?

s-l1600.jpg

Same problem I had with my 98 XLT. PITA! Tried cleaning the switch, fixing the slide, etc.. Finally bought a replacement mirror from Amazon and all is well. The real issue is getting the old one off the windshield mount. Got to be real careful not to mess up the glass.

Ditto on messing up the glass.

I would love to meet the ****** the invented that rear view mirror mount...

You can but it would be easier and cheaper just to cut a wire.

Does anybody know where to buy the replacement potentiometer?
Thanks,
Sergio

I have one but it doesn't work, it just makes something inside of my dash tick repeatedly if I ever have it on...

Back