Adding factory auto-dimming inside mirror to 2020 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding factory auto-dimming inside mirror to 2020 XLT

linkovich

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY and West Bradenton, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT 202A
Hi,

Has anyone replaced the XLT's manual inside mirror with the basic (non-camera) auto-dimming mirror (JU5Z-17700-C) that's standard on the Limited?

According to the wiring diagrams I have for the 2020, the 5-pin connector should already be under the cover (which I haven't removed yet), and I doubt that anything needs to be programmed for it.

Also, that cover seems to be secured with four plastic snap-ins. Am I the only one that gets nervous trying to unpop them?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi,

Has anyone replaced the XLT's manual inside mirror with the basic (non-camera) auto-dimming mirror (JU5Z-17700-C) that's standard on the Limited?

According to the wiring diagrams I have for the 2020, the six-pin connector should already be under the cover (which I haven't removed yet), and I doubt that anything needs to be programmed for it.

Also, that cover seems to be secured with five plastic snap-ins. Am I the only one that gets nervous trying to unpop them?

Thanks.

My ST came with the manual inside mirror. It took me less then 10 minutes to switch it with the auto-dimming mirror once the dealership received it. I was also pretty nervous about removing the cover, as it's pretty tight in there.

Take a look at jrgoffin tread, that's what I used to guide me in the process: Power mirror circuit: hard-wiring radar detector, camera, etc.

My ST came with the manual inside mirror. It took me less then 10 minutes to switch it with the auto-dimming mirror once the dealership received it. I was also pretty nervous about removing the cover, as it's pretty tight in there.

Take a look at jrgoffin tread, that's what I used to guide me in the process: Power mirror circuit: hard-wiring radar detector, camera, etc.

To be fair, your ST would have had the wiring there because it was supposed to have the auto dim. My gut tells me that the wiring is there as well but no guarantees.

OP, just remove the cover and check it first. Several have popped it off without issue.

Hi,

According to the wiring diagrams I have for the 2020, the six-pin connector should already be under the cover (which I haven't removed yet), and I doubt that anything needs to be programmed for it.

Also, that cover seems to be secured with five plastic snap-ins. Am I the only one that gets nervous trying to unpop them?

Thanks.
Did you find out if the plug was behind the cover?

Yes, finally!
Well, I did get the cover off, and it came off cleanly and easily. Just move the mirror downward, including the extension arm, pull from the front center, and move sideways on each side to disengage the four clips (see the attached cover picture).

The only connectors I could find, and I do have the XLT 202A, are the temp/humidity sensor (left), the connector for the IPMA (image processing module A) heating element (middle), and the IPMA lane-departure module (right). I couldn't see a mirror connector. If it's there, it must be tucked inside the headliner.

I'll take the cover off again this weekend and look inside the headliner. If there's a green-with-brown-stripe wire running up the A-pillar, that's the reverse lamp feed, and if that's there, the auto-dimming mirror will work with only that and a + and - connection...and I know I can find the part number for the 5-pin connector as well.

Attachments

• 2020 explorer upper windshield modules.jpg
    2020 explorer upper windshield modules.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 223
  • 2020 explorer upper windshield cover.jpg
    2020 explorer upper windshield cover.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 213

Yes, finally!

Well, I did get the cover off, and it came off cleanly and easily. Just move the mirror downward, including the extension arm, pull from the front center, and move sideways on each side to disengage the four clips (see the attached cover picture).

The only connectors I could find, and I do have the XLT 202A, are the temp/humidity sensor (left), two wires for something connected directly to the windshield (middle), and the lane-departure camera module (right).

I'll take it out again this weekend. If there's a green-with-brown-stripe wire running up the A-pillar, that's the reverse lamp feed, and if that's there, the auto-dimming mirror will work with only that and a + and - connection...and I know I can find the part number for the 5-pin connector as well.

Ok good I have mirror on order too. I can’t wait to switch mine out also. So you are saying the plug is there? Or will I have to wire it up someway different. Did the wire come with the new mirror? Thanks

Be very careful. That module (Image Processing Module) is $1081.62 on Fordparts.

Peter

Be very careful. That module (Image Processing Module) is $1081.62 on Fordparts.

Peter
Exactly...I saw that!

I don't even like to see kinked wiring...but anything marked "set aside if dropped" is a red alert.

Ok good I have mirror on order too. I can’t wait to switch mine out also. So you are saying the plug is there? Or will I have to wire it up someway different. Did the wire come with the new mirror? Thanks
I didn't see the mirror connector, but I'll look again this weekend. It may be inside the headliner where it meets the cover at the top of the windshield.

I didn't see the mirror connector, but I'll look again this weekend. It may be inside the headliner where it meets the cover at the top of the windshield.
Ok thanks let me know what you find

I had some time to look under the windshield cover and I even pulled the over head lights right behind the cover and I cannot find the wire for the auto dim light so I guess it’s a no go.

I had some time to look under the windshield cover and I even pulled the over head lights right behind the cover and I cannot find the wire for the auto dim light so I guess it’s a no go.
It only needs +, -, and reverse. And reverse is only to brighten it when the reverse lamps are on. Technically, you could even run it without that.

K, going to bring this back. Drove the explorer the other night and it sucks w/o the auto dimming rear view mirror and driver side mirror.
A dimming mirror probably just needs power? as it should have a photo sensor to turn on dimming.

Guys, hello. It would be interesting to know if it was possible to install an auto-dimming mirror.

Back