Adding lane departure assist to a 2012 Ford Explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding lane departure assist to a 2012 Ford Explorer Limited

Guy Conner

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 explorer 2.0 ltd
We just bought a new 2012 Ford Explorer 2.0 EcoBoost Limited.
We have the adaptive cruise control and every option that was available.
However, we do not have the lane departure assist feature but we want to add it.
Is this a feature that can be added or retrofitted to our vehicle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forums Guy Conner!

As far as I know, it is not possible. Considering the hardware/software involved, even if it is possible, it would be crazy expensive... let me see if I can find the necessary 'eye' part.... after searching, the closest I could find would the be automatic wiper sensor assembly, of which I believe the lane keeping sensor is a part of. It is $1,182.12. To just have all of the little parts up there in the call-out picture the total cost would be: $1662.68. Of course that doesn't include any parts that might fall beyond the scope of the diagram and installation would be on top of that. Then there is the software, which they sometimes include to ease scales of production, sometimes not.

Seeing as how that feature was a new one for 2013, I have serious doubts about the feasibility, or even possibility, of adding this to a 2012. Honestly, in my opinion it is an okay feature. We hardly if ever use it now because it gets annoying after a while.

I hope that helps. I also hope you are enjoying the new ride! Congratulations by the way :)

Be sure to post some pics of the new ride so we can all enjoy the new!

I agree with VinceL....it was cool for the first 300 miles...now I haven't used in in the last 2000 miles...

Yea ....... And the 2014's will add something that the previous year lacks ........ It's just a vicious cycle that will drive you nuts! Just leave it as is.

We just bought a new 2012 Ford Explorer 2.0 EcoBoost Limited.
We have the adaptive cruise control and every option that was available.
However, we do not have the lane departure assist feature but we want to add it.
Is this a feature that can be added or retrofitted to our vehicle?
Welcome to the Forum Guy Conner. :wavey:
As fellow members have indicated, it likely would get annoying after a while even if you could install it and wanted to pay the price. If you had a Google Galaxy Nexus phone, then, there's an app for that.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn22297-lanekeeping-app-makes-any-car-smarter.html

I hope you are enjoying your new ride. Happy motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter

Thank you guys for the warm welcome and the advice.
I see what you guys mean about the feature becoming a nuisance.
After a two hundred mile trip yesterday, I realized the road has its own lane departure warning system. Rumble strips on the sides and reflectors in the middle kind of do the same thing.
Truth be known, I would really like a car that would just take us to our destination at a high rate of speed.
They already have that, though.
It's called a train.

I'm waiting for my dealer to call me back with Ford's answer.
Thanks for the info on the app, too!

I do like the adaptive cruise control.
It's nice to use in heavy traffic.

The adaptive cruise control is one of my favorite things about the car. I've got my own little system on working it and is a great feature.

Welcome to the Forums Guy Conner!

As far as I know, it is not possible. Considering the hardware/software involved, even if it is possible, it would be crazy expensive... let me see if I can find the necessary 'eye' part.... after searching, the closest I could find would the be automatic wiper sensor assembly, of which I believe the lane keeping sensor is a part of. It is $1,182.12. To just have all of the little parts up there in the call-out picture the total cost would be: $1662.68. Of course that doesn't include any parts that might fall beyond the scope of the diagram and installation would be on top of that. Then there is the software, which they sometimes include to ease scales of production, sometimes not.

Be sure to post some pics of the new ride so we can all enjoy the new!

I'm trying to remember but I believe the windshield wiper sensor is separate from the camera for the lane assist. I think the auto highbeams may use the lane departure camera though. I believe both were new features for 2013. But I'm guessing it would also require changing the computer module (and software) and who knows how compatible that would be with the 2012 stuff.

I agree with VinceL....it was cool for the first 300 miles...now I haven't used in in the last 2000 miles...

I use it very often... but only if I know I am going to be going fast (interstate, etc.) since it shuts off under a certain speed (45 mph I think?). I;ve found it helpful for long trips - it's just a push of a button and it seems to work pretty well.

The adaptive cruise control is one of my favorite things about the car. I've got my own little system on working it and is a great feature.

I like it too but I am always a bit nervous since it says it will never come to a complete stop...so you still have to be quite aware of the situation and be ready to press the brake at any time if the cars in front suddendly stop

I like it too but I am always a bit nervous since it says it will never come to a complete stop...so you still have to be quite aware of the situation and be ready to press the brake at any time if the cars in front suddendly stop

Well yeah! We are still responsible for actually driving the car ;) I like the convenience of not having to fuss with adjusting the set speed up or down. Around here, you rarely get to go the same speed for long, and this feature makes it a lot nicer to cruise.

Well yeah! We are still responsible for actually driving the car ;) I like the convenience of not having to fuss with adjusting the set speed up or down. Around here, you rarely get to go the same speed for long, and this feature makes it a lot nicer to cruise.

I'm waiting for the Google car stuff to come out - then I can just sit back and read while it drives me to work :)

I use it very often... but only if I know I am going to be going fast (interstate, etc.) since it shuts off under a certain speed (45 mph I think?). I;ve found it helpful for long trips - it's just a push of a button and it seems to work pretty well.

I guess I figured if I need my car to help me keep the vehicle on the road, then I shouldn't be driving :) I will agree that it does work well, but the whole idea behind it makes me nervous.

I guess I figured if I need my car to help me keep the vehicle on the road, then I shouldn't be driving :) I will agree that it does work well, but the whole idea behind it makes me nervous.

It is just another safety feature I paid for, so why not use it? I don't think it speaks to my driving ability anymore than using antilock brakes, cruise control, etc.

It is just another safety feature I paid for, so why not use it? I don't think it speaks to my driving ability anymore than using antilock brakes, cruise control, etc.

I wasn't commenting on your driving ability at all.

I just feel that being able to maintain the vehicle in a lane is the most basic skill of driving a car. Anybody behind the wheel should be able to do that, or they shouldn't be behind the wheel. It's basic common sense and safety. I'm not sure I consider a feature that allows the driver to be inattentive to truly be a 'safety' feature.

Anti-lock breaks enhance the maneuverability of a vehicle during a panic stop, that is a safety feature. Airbags can help prevent injury in an accident, that is a safety feature.

If anybody is using the lane-keeping feature and it is activating, you shouldn't be on the road, or you should at least be paying more attention to it. That is my only point.

I was not trying to slight you driving skills in any way, I was just making a statement. I responded to your post because you had responded my post. Please take no offense, as my comments were not directed specifically at you :)

I wasn't commenting on your driving ability at all...
I just feel that ...If anybody is using the lane-keeping feature and it is activating, you shouldn't be on the road...

Soo.. You have never in your life changed lanes without signaling??? :D

I have the lane departure feature and love it. It especially works great to make sure you signal before changing lanes. It shakes the wheel if you attempt cross a line without signaling, even when exiting the highway. Using your signal disables the feature momentarily for that side you are indicating.

If there is a vehicle next to you it actually tries to turns the wheel back. I ride a Harley and wish more drivers had it. We are all human after all and make mistakes.

Our neighboring state Massachusetts DOT, has the big electronic signs that say "Changing lanes? Use yah blinkah." Good advice for all.

Use-Yah-Blinkah.jpg

Back