• Register Today It's free!

Adding R134A refrigerant.

geofftowne

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger
My AC blows warm air for about ten to fifteen minutes after I start the truck before it finally cools off, so I bought a can of r134a. I unscrewed what I believe to be the low pressure port, but when I did, gas(r134) was still coming out. Do I need to fully drain the system before adding any more refrigerant?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just don't want to blow up a can of freon and I want to make absolutely sure that I'm adding to the low pressure port. It's on the left side up top towards the back. There's a black cap that unscrews. When I unscrew it, freon comes out still. It's ok to add the freon still?

The low pressure is the on on the passenger side to the rear. The High pressure port is at the front of the vehicle, drivers side.

If your saying you have freon coming out of the low pressure port when you take off the plastic cap then you found your leak. The schrader valve there is leaking. The plastic cap is the last line of defense to a leak there, but they don't always seal completely (the plastic cap).

To fit it right, you need a new schrader valve BUT to change it you need to have the system emptied. Then change the schrader valve and anything else you are going to change, then evacuate the system and then charge it.

Harbor Freight tools currently has a coupon for the evacuation pump for $60 and the manifold sets can be had for around $40. Then its just the r-134.
Coupon for the vacuum pump. http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa..._prospects.html&cust=76910666207&keycode=0000

There is good info at the top of this section of the forum about converting which also explain charging...

~Mark

Any advice on how to tighten the spring loaded stem? I'm admittedly naive when it comes to working on my truck. Thanks

They make a shraeder valve tool. You need the one for A/C as the ones for tires is usually too small.

Mine looks liks this but its black (ignore the hose in the pic)

960003.jpg

~Mark

Back