Adding Side Mirror Turn Signals | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Side Mirror Turn Signals

ntoda00

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Interceptor Utility
I currently have the DB5Z-17682-DB side mirrors. According to Ford's description it's "Base Limited XLT Sport ; Dual Power/Heated Mirrors Mic, Less Side Marker Lamps, (+) North American Markets; RH, Black". I wanted to add the Side Marker Lamps (Turn Signals) into it. I assume that you could either tap off the existing wiring harness (if it's there) or run a new cable tap off the actual turn signal lines to power up. What I need to know is how do I go about adding the Side Marker Lamps (Turn Signals)? Anyone have any disassembly instructions for the side mirror?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would tend to agree with you Mark. I doubt that the signal light portion can be added to the mirror. It looks like it is integrated into the mirror's design. Trying to add it looks like it would require cutting into the body of the mirror.
I believe the mirror on the Base model is the only one that doesn't have the built in signal lamps. Going by the OP's post, I guess the PI model doesn't either although I have seen pictures of some PI with the integrated signals.

Peter

You're correct, Peter. The PIs do not have integrated mirror signals. I've done some installs on them, so that I'm sure of. When looking at one that has them, they look like their manufactured with them. I'm not sure exactly how they're mounted, so I can't speak with certainty, but I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't work easily, if at all.

But hey, anything is possible with enough time and money... My suggestion would be finding one that is totaled that has them and buy them from there.

I am attempting adding turn signal mirrors to my 2017 PIU. The mirrors are physically interchangeable with the non-signal, non-heated mirrors currently on the vehicle. I know that, on some Ford products, these features can be enabled by re-programming the driver's door module; however, reading my configuration with Forscan, no driver's door module appears to be present. Can anyone advise if these functions (heated mirrors, turn signals, puddle lamps) require programming, or additional wiring?

Mirror heat will work without doing anything. I've installed heated mirrors and they work. I cant get the puddle or turn signals to work though.

Thank you. I'll take up the signal/puddle issue on Forscan's forum.

^^ thread has been merged with this one.

UPDATE: Since I found that the wiring harness to my power/heated (only) outer mirrors actually had lots of extra wires going into the mirror connector, I took a chance on buying an aftermarket set of Power/Heated/TURN SIGNALS/PUDDLE LAMP mirrors from Car Parts Wholesale, fully thinking that I would also have to get into FORScan and do some programming changes to enable these extra features.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that once I simply plugged them in, I now also suddenly had working exterior-mirror Turn Signals, and also working Puddle Lamps!... No additional programming was needed! So, it seems like it IS possible to add these upgraded mirror features to your more basic XLT side view mirrors, in a simple plug-and-play manner.

For those of you who may also be interested in trying these mirrors on your own XLT, here is the ordering information:

Car Parts Wholesale (online/eBay)

LH Mirror (Power/Heated/Turn Signals/Puddle Lamps/Manual Fold) - Their P/N GB5Z-17683BDPTM ($125.45 with Free Shipping)
RH Mirror (Power/Heated/Turn Signals/Puddle Lamps/Manual Fold) - Their P/N GB5Z-17682BCPTM ($125.45 with Free Shipping)

According to their fitment chart, these mirrors will supposedly work on 2016-2019 Ford Explorer models.

The 1st photo shows the mirror as it came out of the box, with the gloss-black cap on it. Because I prefer the matte-black look of the caps that came on my original OEM mirrors, and because these caps were identical in their mountings and easily replaceable, I simply transferred those caps onto the new aftermarket mirrors, to get the look that I preferred.

Check out the photos...

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Nice. According to this site, they will fit all trims 2026-19. 2016-2019 Ford Explorer Mirror Outside GB5Z-17683-BDPTM | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter
Hey Peter. I bought a set of these off eBay as well but only the mirror controls and heat function are working. Do you have any additional suggestions to get the turn signal and puddle lamps working? I have a 2017 Ford Explorer Base 4x4, 2.3l Twin Turbo. Thanks for any suggestions that you or anyone here may have.

Hey Peter. I bought a set of these off eBay as well but only the mirror controls and heat function are working. Do you have any additional suggestions to get the turn signal and puddle lamps working? I have a 2017 Ford Explorer Base 4x4, 2.3l Twin Turbo. Thanks for any suggestions that you or anyone here may have.
I attempted to make this upgrade a couple of years ago, to my 2017 PIU. My Ford dealer found this was in an unaddressable area of the body control module through IDS. I am awaiting a solution via FORSCAN.

I attempted to make this upgrade a couple of years ago, to my 2017 PIU. My Ford dealer found this was in an unaddressable area of the body control module through IDS. I am awaiting a solution via FORSCAN.
It figures. They can't make it easy to upgrade such a simple part. Thanks for the quick response and look forward to hearing about a solution. Take care.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I guess you got the answer. I don't have anything to add or suggest other than not all trim levels are outfitted with the same features/capabilities.
All part of marketing!

Peter

I'm sorry to hear of your problems getting them to work on your 2017 model. I only know that my upgraded mirrors readily worked, without the additional FORScan programming that I was expecting that I would need to do... even though my 2018 only originally came with just the most basic heated/power mirrors.

I also find it hard to believe that such programming is not "addressable" within the deep programming of the vehicle, since everything else is controlled by software programming these days, and especially since the Ford techs are trained on using their software tool to go into deep programming. Perhaps FORScan has (or will soon provide) the settings needed to activate the additional puddle/turn signal features, if they're not in their information somewhere already?

I'm sorry to hear of your problems getting them to work on your 2017 model. I only know that my upgraded mirrors readily worked, without the additional FORScan programming that I was expecting that I would need to do... even though my 2018 only originally came with just the most basic heated/power mirrors.

I also find it hard to believe that such programming is not "addressable" within the deep programming of the vehicle, since everything else is controlled by software programming these days, and especially since the Ford techs are trained on using their software tool to go into deep programming. Perhaps FORScan has (or will soon provide) the settings needed to activate the additional puddle/turn signal features, if they're not in their information somewhere already?
Thanks brother and take care.

Back