Adjusting headlights on a 94 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adjusting headlights on a 94

ok, i have searched and not found a good answer to this. My headlights suck. I have to put them on high to look like regular lows. I noticed two screws on the side today. on screw the head is facing out and the other is facing in. I am guessing that these are thw screws to adjust it. am i right? To adjust them How far do I park from my grage door and how high should the center of the beam be off the ground?
Thanks
Matt

I think this has been discussed here before and from what I remember, this is one of those jobs left for a professional. I know I'd get sick of all the ppl flashing me when I'd aim mine wrong :)

Paraphrased forom the Haynes Manual......

The headlights have two adjusting screws, one near the fender for up and down movement and one behind the inboard side of the headlight for left and right movement.

Position masking tape vertically on the wall in reference to the vehicle centerline and the centerline of the headlights.

Position a horizontal line in reference to the centerline of the headlights.

Adjustment should be made with the vehicle parked 25 feet from the wall, sitting level, the gas tank half-full and no heavy load.

Starting with the low beam adjustment, position the high intensity zone so it is two inches below the horizontal line and two inches to the right of the headlight vertical line.

With the high beam on, the high intensity zone should be vertically centered with the exact center just below the horizontal line.

Good Luck!

yea after tearing apart my front ent i figured out what the screws were for. got it all set up now, but their not very bright. would a set of 100w 9004's brighten it up much. I just dont want it to burn my harness.

Back