Advance Adapters AOD to BW1354 Anybody install the tailshaft themselves? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advance Adapters AOD to BW1354 Anybody install the tailshaft themselves?

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
okay my adapter gets here today.
This is a 4r70w to bw1354 adapter with new tail shaft ofr the 4r70w.

My question is I have seen alot of people talk about special tools required, etc etc to take the trans apart and install the tailshaft. Most people pay to have it done. Personally I would like to install it myself if possible.

Anybody done this?
tools required?

My plan is to install the oiling hole plug kit from Ford (4R70W) doesnt need it, get a new filter and gaskter for the trans as well as a new rear seal, but I would like to think I am capable of installing this SOB myself, no?

I have a guy that will do it for me, est $150, but that means I would have to wait more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jamie.. do you happen to have those 4r70w rebuild videos that were going around the net awhile back? If not, I'll upload them to my server so you can download them. The guy goes through an entire disassemble and reassemble of the tranny. I think it would help you out a lot.

I do not, you see I never owned this trans before.
If you upload them I willdownload them and I would be forever thankful!

I do not plan to do anything but get in, install tailshaft, get out without screwing anything up!

downloading...U da man!

Bumpity, Adapter arrived via UPS, I will watch the videos...still want to know if anybody has done this themselves before....

I need a pin, sleeve, and snap ring kit from ford to modify the AA shaft to plug the oiling port for the governor, which the AODE does not have ....

Good luck with the pin, my dealer told me there isnt one anyhere in the world, going to custom make one. On a side note, anyone who had used the pin and all bfore please give me some specs on it. Was is just a straight pin, did it fit loose or tight. Also was it the full length of the hole?

oh great :)

EDIT: You need a new dealer. My Dealer parts dept has everything but the sleeve in stock and the sleeve is available from their warehouse in TN.

Dont do that to me! hahaha

Bumpity, anyone?

Hey man, about ot the the same exact thing to mine, ill let you know how it goes. Oh, could i talk you into getting one of those pins from the dealer and shipping it to me, or giving me their number? Paypal you all costs plus enough for a 6 pack! :usa:

there are 3 parts you need from Ford to plug the oiling hole for the governor.
\The pin, the sleeve and the snap ring.
Any Ford dealer can get these parts.
I also found all 3 available at www.Fordpartsnetwork.com
Courtesy Ford in Littleton Colorado is who I contacted.

I would be happy to pick the pin up for you, its only like $2, but I think you are better off ordering it from your local dealer or online.

The entire main assembly of the transmission must come out :) Looks like fun, I think I will just pay and have it done next week......

I did my AOD two weeks ago. I had bought the rebulid video and I also have tech. manual for the AOD as well. The video was good and I probably could have used only that but the manual was enough to use it alone. Only took me about 5 hours with my 7 year old buzzing around me.
The only specialty tools you need are snap ring pliers, feeler guage and slide hammers.

A note about the slide hammers:
You need a metric #10 course thread to thread into the pump housing.
I have one slide hammer but not the right threaded attachment for it. I needed a second one also so what I did was buy two #10 bolts, take a 3/8 threaded rod (cut in two) I have lying around and weld the rods to the top of the bolt heads. I then slid a deep socket over each rod and threaded a nut and washer on the end of it to act as a stop.
Whala....two slide hammers for the task. They worked perfectly.

I see! 5 hours!
Had you ever attempted anything like this before?

Thanks for the tips for sure!

Its not bad at all really. I did it last night. Just be carefull to take out all accumulators, note location of anti-clunk spring, and also reinstalling the center support snap ring can be a pain if you are careful about where it was when it came out. Never opened a tranny before in my life and it wasnt too hard really

I had rebuilt a T5 a couple years ago. Never opened an auto before. The way I look at it is try everything at least once. If it doesn't work out, don't ever do it again. This is how I found out I suck at body repair! I'll stick to mechanical adventures.

Back