AWD EX tranny output shaft fit 1354? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD EX tranny output shaft fit 1354?

WickedWindsor

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
351 powered, 1991 XLT 4x4
I'm wondering if the spline count on the '96 up 5.0 AWD tranny outpu shaft is the same as '91-'94 with 1354 transfer case.
I currently have an Advance Adapter tailhousing that mates the 1354 to my AOD tranny. It came with a new output shaft to fit inside the 1354. I'm basically hoping that I can get a '96 EX tranny (4R70W) and put my tailhousing adapter on it and bolt up the 1354 and use a Bauman engineering controller.
Can this be done, or am I looking at installing a new output shaft in the 4R70W tranny?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wouldn't I then be looking at new drive shaft flange connections? I'm looking at making this as painless to my wallet as possible as I've already had three tranny rebuilds in two years with this setup.

I'm actually SO fed up with mods that I'm actually considering buying a donor EX to put BACK IN a stock 4.0/a4ld setup!
The engine runs great and the new Aussie locker I got made the jeepers this weekend look pathetic, so I'm really in limbo with what to do. On top of this, my wife is giving me grief on my money pit. I don't know when to stop. Is this it? Maybe time to go back to Mustangs.
The cheepest thing for me to do at this point is to buy a donor EX for the drivetrain, eek!

Wouldn't I then be looking at new drive shaft flange connections? I'm looking at making this as painless to my wallet as possible as I've already had three tranny rebuilds in two years with this setup.

I am not familiar with the flanges in the 1354, so I can't say, but the 4406 has four bolt flanges front and rear. I think the 4406 bolting up without an adapter and custom driveshafts and changing output shafts would be the best bet.

Maybe you need a new trans builder if you are having so many problems?

okay so you already have an AOD and the AA adapter that mates the AOD to the 1354.

You want to use this AOD adapter on a 4r70w transmission.

It should be the same adapter and output shaft for the 4r70w that you bought for your AOD but I would contact Advance Adapters to make sure.

In my Bronco II I have a 4r70w with a 1354 t case, using the AA adapter and output shaft.

My friend Joe has a 93 Explorer with a Mustang HO 5.0L, he is running a 4r70w with the Bauuman transmission controller, along with the AA adapter and 1354 t case.

the 4r70w needs the AA adapter to mate to a 1354 t case
The 4r70w will bolt up to the 4406 t case with no adapter

Thanks guys, I think what I'll do is get a used 4R70W a local wrecking yard has nearby $240. I'll tear into my current AOD to retrieve the output shaft and take it to a different tranny guy (to be safe) and have them rebuild it.
I'll get the Bauman controller with full harness.
I've done some research and it looks like the alignment dowels for the engine to tranny mount are a little smaller for the 4R70W than the AOD (no biggy).
The torque convertor, I'm not sure if it will bolt to my same flywheel that the AOD did (351, 28oz).
Since my fluid looked good coming out of the tranny, my guess is that in low range, for 7 hours, the TV cable system didn't regulate the proper fluid pressure in the tranny burning up the innerds. It was fine on the street since December (only had been out once since then for about 2 hours in low range).
Maybe if I had kept the gear selector in 1st the whole time, I would've been fine.
Is it normal to wheel in low range keeping the tranny in first, or do you keep it in drive/overdrive?
I think by going with an electronic tranny, I'll be bypassing any of these possible issues.
what do you think?

Back