• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Got busy today and did a little modification to the front cabins upper shelf. Needed to lift it 1.5" for a bit more room under it.

The shelf is a nice thick 14 ga, and doesn't need any center bracing, so lifting it on the sides made it easy (er).

It rests (bolted as well) on some 1.5" Angle that is welded to the box frame vertical posts. The easiest way I came up with changing the height, AND keeping the full length edge supports, was to simply add some full length 1.5" Sq Aluminum tubes.

Cut to length and clamped tight to the angles. Used the awesome Dewalt drill/tap/burr bits to make threaded bolt holes thru the shelf, into the 1/4" alum tubes. Stainless bolts to tighten it up. Same treatment underneath the angles, & thru the alum tubes, more SS bolts to secure it nicely.

Front shelf lifted.jpg

Had to relocate the LED pod under the shelf, to the front wall ( vert tube ), and relocate the 12v power acc outlet, to make more room underneath.

Front acc reworked.jpg

Came out very nice I think. Subtle change, and other than the paint scuff from the old light pod, can't even tell.

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Ok, this is part 2 to the last post.

The reason for the shelf lift, was to make room for the brand new, ICECO VL45 Fridge/Freezer.

I waited all year for the holiday sales to happen, and it paid off. I got this at a huge discount. Less than the smaller Whynter unit cost, after the savings were applied. Totally stoked over it. Merry frigging Ho Ho's.

This 12v/110v AC/DC unit uses the world famous DanFoss CECOP German made Compressor, it's used in ARB models, & other top performing units. 5 year full replacement warranty on it. It has 3 low level power cut off settings, to save a starting battery. Since I'm not worried about that on this trailer, I set it to the lowest, which is 11.1v. the amp draw is minimal, and the constant wattage is also very low consumption. The deep cycle 210 AH bank can run this fridge for days on end before needing any type of charge. The solar panel alone will keep it topped off while in use, so yeah, there's that. Of course that's all on paper, so we will see actual usage in the future. I am thinking of getting a small portable Lithium Jackery 500 charge box, for those days that the solar charge isn't an option, for a backup. One of those will run this fridge, for over 2 days (give or take outside temp fluctuations), on a single charge.

The slide out base was the perfect fit for this unit. I maxed it out, side to side, and in length. There is a nice gap between the strap tie down loops, that I'm comfortable with. If I went any bigger, those strap points would need removed, and fitted to the sides of the base table. so yes, there is still an option to go bigger if wanted in the future.

The soft shell cover (very nice cover at that), is kind of thick, and there is only a small gap between it and the shelf. W/o the cover, there is a 1/2" gap.

Iceco top clearing shelf.jpg

Pulled out

Iceco profile extended.jpg

Opened up

Iceco opened front.jpg

Iceco opened side.jpg

The rear protection wall still doing it's job

Iceco rear installed.jpg

Strapped up with HD straps, base slider closed up, and in stored travel position

Iceco final fit.jpg

With this additional unit, the other smaller 37L unit can stay in the tow rig, and between both units, no more Ice will be needed, the big Heavy 50 qt roto-mold cooler can stay at home, and not break my back anymore. I had to remove the 37 from the tow rig, swap it with the roto cooler in this trailer when setting camp. PITA!

With Old Man winter here, and full jugs of heating fuel, my focus will be shifting to a major mod over the the next few months time. I purchased 90% of the fab metal needed already. Now to save for the parts! lol

Happy Holidays Y'all!

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Foo Foo Post...

When I took this trailer camping at an off road park, they had RV service. I waited to fill the water tank until I arrived for less travel weight. It was already dark out when I arrived, and there was no light at the water fill. People were filing behind me to fill up, and I was trying to hurry up. Well, it was so dark, and the trailer was packed with gear, making it difficult to find the inline vent valve (closed during travel in case of a roll over), to open it. I tried to fill the tank with it closed, and made a mess. It took maybe 5 gals before it burped back out the fill port. More people was getting in line, and I said screw it, and stopped trying. Frustrated over this, I decided to do something someday, to help me see the pump area better.

I forgot I had a couple of low output accent LED light strips. I stumbled upon them today while hunting down something else. Quickly jumped projects, and installed these. It's just crazy how some of these little jobs can eat time, like a black hole devours all life around it. Over 3 hours later, these simple little lights was finally installed. They are on the same circuit, as the rest of the interior led lights. They put out just enough light, to make it easy to see everything involved with the pump, at a glance.

LED pump lights.jpg

Happy Holidays, and Merry Foo Foo to all.

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
After the camping trip with this trailer, and using the 56" Four season CVT tent with the annex room for the first time, I quickly realized that the tent is too small for more than one person, unless your with a significant partner. It's plenty long when opened at 96", but it is only 56" wide. This means you can only lay one direction, and 2 people side by side that's only a little over 2 feet of space each. That's fine if If you rely on the annex room for another person with a cot, but not if you want to use the annex room for other things, like a couple chairs/table, etc...

So I met someone on that trip, which was actually an overlanding meet, and had around 50 others with different trailers and RTT's. they had just purchased a new RTT for them, and 2 kids. We was all checking each others setups, and I really liked the RTT they had. It was a 4+ person Four season 72" 23Zero Walkabout with light shade technology that kept the inside black as night, and had dimming LED lights, with a nice big annex room (sold separately). They had outfitted it with every optional accessory available. Total cost was a few hundred more than the CVT I bought.

Well, a few months later, and I seen a post they made, that they bought an even nicer unit, and was selling the 72" walkabout. I jumped on it, as they was only asking half the purchase price, and it was still in new condition being 6 months old, and hardly used.

Opened up, it has a California King 3" high dense mattress with built in anti condensation mat under it. (72" x 96") With this size, you can lay either direction, and gives plenty of room for 2 or 3 adults, plus room for clothing, bedding etc....
Annex room is huge compared to the current CVT room.
Comes with the telescoping/locking rung ladder, 2 hanging shoe bags, and the bigger cover to keep bedding inside when folded up/stowed.
Best part, it is the same weight as the smaller CVT unit. CVT units are bulky, but very well made with HD construction, and HD ripstop materials. Great units, this one was just too small for my liking. I will sell it for a loss. Someone will get one hell of a good RTT that was only used once, and still looks like it came out of the box.

I will swap them out in a couple of weeks. Heading to the Mexico / AZ border next week, to escape this brutal below zero cold wave currently upon me. Need to move the solar panel outward for this tent, and will take a bit of doing. Other than that, the roof rack is made for up to 72" without any overhang.

Couple of pics stolen from the 23Zero website. The ladder I have is not the same ladder shown, that's the slide style. The rain fly is removable, and has full size skylights that open with screens. Lot's of cool extras on the inside too.

72 walkabout w annex front view.jpg
72 walkabout wo annex underside view.jpg

Features​

• California King Bed – 72” x 96” Sleeping Area
  • Fits any larger size vehicle with the appropriate roof rack
  • 280GSM Ripstop polycotton canvas
  • 3” Thick Sleep Comfort Rebound Mattress with a cotton top and waterproof base to provide maximum sleeping comfort, insulate the tent from the cold and eliminate the need for a condensation mat
  • Skyview panels allowing you to control the light that comes in and stargaze at night
  • Built for quick and easy set up and pack down
  • All metal moving parts delivers strength and durability while keeping weight down
  • Available Interior cold weather lining

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
One of the few things to come out of this overlanding craze is all the cool new stuff being marketed. That's a class A RV of tents. There are Tacoma's and 4Runners all over this area with everything you could ever bolt onto them, including RTT's. They mostly look too clean to be actually used in the dirt though.

Without a trailer, those RTT's are not practical for me as I would have it on the roof of the Explorer and would have to completely pack up to leave base camp. However, I noticed while up in the Sierra's that sometimes there is not a lot of open ground for tents in places so a RTT would be handy at times.

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Yeah, Becoming more popular by the day here in the states. I said a few years ago, that the overlanding thing would take off, and become very popular. Not many believed me, and couldn't see it. The equipment used for this has been popular in S Africa, and AUS for years, before it was here. It wasn't until a few small companies here, started to import and sell those products, paving the way for items to be made locally, reducing costs. This stuff became popular, and in demand, and the prices shot up, negating the savings intended in the first place. LOL The American way! Kind of like all the Dr's & Lawyers buying Harley's, and high end RV's, but now fancy stuff lower income consumers could afford. It's an in between thing of poor mans camping, and rich mans glamping. Huge gap to fill, and smart people seen that. Look at Smittybuilt, they took notice of it. A huge Chinese corporation manufacturing tons of cheaper gear dedicated to this market. That says something about this overlanding. Fad or here to stay? Time will tell, but I think it's here to stay.

As far as the RTT for the rig goes..... Once your used to operating them, they can be set up & put away in minutes. This 23Zero is known for fast times the way they made it, with 5 min setup and packing. The CVt takes me a bit longer, but not much. The annex takes the most time.

It's all the little extra stuff that takes additional time. The rear cargo setups are popular because of the set & pack times. Chairs, shower stalls, water heaters, and the likes are what eat up time, and make it a chore. The less you have the faster the times, or the better those items are incorporated into the rig, the easier/faster the times are for camping. There are people that live full time out of a fully equipped overlander, and move daily. Not for me, but it is doable with minimum effort, if....... you have the cash!! Main reason I make as much as I can myself. lol

I have tried (still trying) to set up my gear, so that I can camp comfortably with or without this trailer. I have a trip being planned the end of May in the Kentucky national forest trail system, that I can't use the trailer. The rig is pretty much setup for it as is, just have to use a ground tent. I could install the smaller CVT tent to the rig, but that means removing the new adventure rack. Not willing to do that, so it's going up for sale.