Advice? 02 V8 w/ 164k asking $4,000? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice? 02 V8 w/ 164k asking $4,000?

cgrady17

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey Everybody,

I'm looking at a 2002 Explorer Limited with the 4.6L V8 that has 164,000 miles on it. Single owner with all maintenance records. They're asking $4,000 for it and it does seem to be loaded with almost all the options.

My question is do think this is a good buy if I can pull him down a bit with cash? Also, I'm used to the 2nd gens (I've got an 01 now) so is there anything noteworthy about the 3rd gens and 02 in particular with the V8?

Any info or advice would be great!

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Everybody,

I'm looking at a 2002 Explorer Limited with the 4.6L V8 that has 164,000 miles on it. Single owner with all maintenance records. They're asking $4,000 for it and it does seem to be loaded with almost all the options.

My question is do think this is a good buy if I can pull him down a bit with cash? Also, I'm used to the 2nd gens (I've got an 01 now) so is there anything noteworthy about the 3rd gens and 02 in particular with the V8?

Any info or advice would be great!

Thanks,

The biggest issue that would appear with the '02 especially is the transmission having issues. Other things that '02s may have issues with are rear springs having cracked and the 4X4 control module going bad. The V8 can have an issue where the spark plug blows out of the head, check with the owner if / when the plugs were changed. Other common issues are wheel bearings going bad, but that is for all 2002-2005s. I would thoroughly check the history and take it on a drive where you cycle through all the gears to check for slippage.

If you're a DIY guy probably you can go for it, if you depend on a shop to do the repairs then I wouldn't recommend. Expect more than $4000 in repairs..

At that mileage it's a gamble and with this first year model you're on the losing side.

Here's the list of things to note:
1. Transmission - has it been maintained.. they fail early at 70-80k.
2. Wheel bearings
3. Coil springs and ball joints (crack)
4. Rear diff seal leak
4. A/C actuators and compressor
5. Intake Manifold (crack)

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

Whatever you do, use a non-blended fully synthetic 5w-20 oil and Motorcraft oil filter. The rod bearings have a history of failing on these engines. With nothing but Mobil 1 and FL-820s, the aluminum modular will run forever.

It would also be a good idea to drain and refill differential fluid and transmission fluid. Do not do a transmission flush at a service or repair shop, just drain and fill. Coolant might not be a bad idea to change, either.

Inspect the parts that are designed to wear out, rear springs, shocks, sway bar bushings, wheel bearings.

Enjoy your Explorer

I bought my 02 4.0 xls with 85,000 I had to do both outer tie rods all four wheel bearings front and back coils. Motor ran great one owner truck, the oil change records where spot on every 3,000 he changed the oil with mobile 1....If you can get him down to 3,000 buy it.....

I just bought an 03’ for $3200 but had 233k on it. It also had everything done in the last two years, wheel bearings, coils, plugs, full suspension redo, pinion seal, timing guides, alternator. Only pay $4k if you have a huge list of stuff completed. Definitely do the drain and fill on trans.

Back