Advice - 99 5.0/AWD or 00 4.0 sohc 4wd?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice - 99 5.0/AWD or 00 4.0 sohc 4wd??

Pheadrus

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
Hi Everyone
I'm looking for some advice on two potential Explorer purchases. I'm looking at a 2000 2dr Sport with the 4.0 SOHC and a 1999 4 dr 5.0 AWD. It's mainly for the wife because were in northern Canada and live in the country. Driving in the winter snow on the highway is the biggest issue not serious off-roading. Although I would likely use it for fishing.

The 2000 2dr 4.0 SOHC is a one owner with 98,000km(61,000miles). It was the seller's wife's vehicle and she's 70 years old. So I now it's been babied it's whole life. It needs the typical ball joints, rocker repair, tires, battery, exhaust, etc. About $1500 in parts and labour to get it on the road. There's rust holes starting on the bottom of the front fenders and in front of the rear wheels. My big issue is obviously the 4.0 SOHC motor. I checked with the Ford Dealership and the SOHC was never fixed at the dealer. Only one mechanic has worked on it since the warranty was up and he said he never changed the timing chains, gears, tensioners, etc. So the crappy defective factory plastic parts are still in it. He said he's never seen a problem with these motors if they weren't rodded and properly maintained with regular oil changes which this one has had. Right now the motor has no ticks, rattles, etc. to indicate the parts in question are creating any issues. Price is around $900-1000 without all the repairs. All in I'd be at about $2500 without tires.

The 1999 4dr 5.0 AWD has 230,000km(143,000miles). It has the leather interior with power everything, CD player with factory CD changer. The body is about the same as the 2000 but only needs one ball joint and the e-brake cables done. The tires are about 50% but the tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings, brakes, etc. were all done in the last few years. The 5.0 motor was rebuilt 10,000km(6200miles) ago. Price $2200 firm. I'm guessing $200-$300 for the repairs not including tires so about $2500 all in.

The 2000 has half the mileage but has the stock 4.0 SOHC. The 5.0 in the 99 is rebuilt and is a much better motor but everything else is higher mileage. I only see a 1mpg difference between the 5.0 and the 4.0 for fuel economy. The AWD is better for snow but the tranny, transfer case and diffs are high mileage. I've worked on my own cars for 20 years so changing diffs etc in the future wouldn't be a huge deal for me. Paying $2000 to fix the 4.0 if it lets go is. What does everyone think is the best route? All advice is greatly appreciated. I would post some pics but I don't know how to do it because I'm new to the site.
Thanks, Steve.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

admittedly i'm biased to the 5.0 AWD, but i think it's a better choice for you and your wife. the only point in the 4.0 SOHC favor is fewer miles, but i'd still chose the 5.0 as it's a much stronger engine and trans combo. personally i would not own another SOHC.

I was wondering when koda would see this one lol, I agree the v8 is probably the better choice

Personally i like the low km but the 2 door is shorter and will ride a bit more rough. Both drivetrains are solid. Either one will probably be OK for a few years. But in your shoes the answer is straight forward. Which one does your wife like?

5.0!!!! Bought mine with 223,000 Kms on it, I now have 277,000 and I'm happy

I'm leaning towards the 5.0 AWD especially for the snow conditions. Over the years I've had 4 or 5 F150's with the 5.0 and a few 5.0 Mustangs including currently having a 91 5.0 vert and a 92 Nite Bronco so I know these motors pretty well.
The wife likes both but trusts that I'll buy the one in the best shape regardless of appearance. The 5.0 has the leather interior and all the power options so I think she'd want that one anyway. I could easily upgrade the transfer case, tranny, or diffs if they crap out on the 5.0 in my driveway. I really don't want to take on opening up the 4.0 SOHC for repair in my dirt driveway or pay a shop $2000 when it starts to make the death rattle. I'll let you know in the next few days which one we get.
Thanks, Steve.

I'm leaning towards the 5.0 but check it out extra carefully. I'd be worried about how it's been maintained. How on earth do you need to rebuild a 5.0 in only 143k miles?

I'd go with the 5.0 as well, the 4.0 SOHC/automatic/4wd combo was the most troublesome of any combination. The transmission and transfer case are less reliable than those paired with the 5.0.

Also, the 4-door body will ride better than the 2-door, although personally I like the 2-door styling better. (I own one of each.)

Or buy both and put the v8 in the sport! Lol

That's a no brainer - AWD clearly fits you better in northern Canada (and probably not too many asphalt roads). Especially at that price!

if you buy the 5.0/AWD, make sure no one's removed the front drive shaft. this almost always means the xfer case is bad.

^ +1.

That's a no brainer - AWD clearly fits you better in northern Canada (and probably not too many asphalt roads). Especially at that price!

LOL! I'm not that far north! But the winters can be bad. We live about 30 minutes outside of town one way so she needs something that's good in snow. So the AWD is the way to go. The AWD is going to my mechanic Thursday or Friday to be thoroughly checked over. I may put a lift kit in just for deep snow if it turns out to be a good vehicle.
Thanks for the info guys.

5.0...for sure if she don't put on a bunch of miles every year.

As far as the 5.0 needing a rebuild, the previous owner before the seller got it stuck bad and overheated it trying to get out. Apparently it took out piston #1 . He has video of the rebuilt motor being put back in. But if it was stuck that bad it destroyed the 302 I wonder what shape the tranny and transfer case are in????

I would drain the transmission pan and fill it back with Mercon V anyway.

I would drain the transmission pan and fill it back with Mercon V anyway.

X2 If I bought another 5.0L I would do that right away and add another tranny cooler so added assurance

FULL synthetic tranny fluid is all I would put in these explorers.. it's expensive but worth it. Doing that alone cleared up a trans issue my 97 was having. Also full syn in the motor.. Synthetic Oils are great.

Thanks for the advice guys. We put it up on the hoist at my buddy's shop yesterday and it was bad news. The outer rockers looked good but crumbled when we pressed on them to check for strength. The inner rockers were worse with holes bid enough for me to put my hand through. A lot of salt is used on the roads up here in the Winter so bodies take a beating. The frame and suspension were also pretty rusty. I'm passing on the 5.0 and the 4.0 has already been sold in the mean time. So I'm back to square one. But I have settled on finding a 5.0 AWD. For what we need it's the best choice. I'm 30 minutes from the Minnesota border so I may have to look down there to find a better body. If anyone in MN or WI has a 5.0 for sale let me know.
Thanks for all the help, Steve.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

V8 AWD! Search CL. In the US South there are lots of them no rust, driven by grand ma on Sundays, etc. but there are junkers too.

I have purchased three off CL so far, all 2nd gen V8 - AWD. First one saved my life (or from serious injury) in a wreck.

Back