Advice on boat trailer pulling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice on boat trailer pulling

I am interested in getting into boating. Currently I have a ford explorer 2 door with 4.0 6 cylinder. I don’t think I want to tow anything heavier than 3,000 lbs boat and trailer. I would like a fish/ski open bow. The vehicle says it is rated for up to 6,000 lbs. I will upgrade to a larger explorer soon but the one I have now still has some life in it and I don’t want to totally destroy the transmission. The distances that I would be taking the boat would be local, usually a 30-60 minute drive and maybe 3 hour drive 1-2 times a year. I would definitely need to put a weight distribution hitch on and possibly some springs to help smooth out the ride.

What else? Advise would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Add a Class III Trailer hitch and a 2nd tranny cooler (Hi performance $50) and you should have no problems.

I towed a 19' 3500lb ski boat from Atlanta to PA and had some problems with the tranny overheating. The fluid gets hot and expands (Especially passing or going up mountains). It then vents out of the overfill causing at to leak on to the exhaust.

I added a 2nd Hi performance tranny cooler, (with Aux 12 volt fan), Temp gauge and an ATF coolant additive. No problems since. I am still using the bumper hitch but recommend a Class III.

Good Luck, Enjoy the boat! :salute:

at 3000 lbs, you'll be around 300 lbs of tongue weight, and there will be no need for weight distribution IMHO. Take it slow & easy, and make sure it's got either electric or surge brakes, and you won't have an issue.

-Joe

Back