Advice on control arms and ball joints | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice on control arms and ball joints

Chickensandwich

Reaction score
City, State
Madison
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Police Utility
My PIU needs ball joints. Looking for advice on whether I should stick with OEM or go with aftermarket high quality parts. My PIU only has 75k on it, so I’m thinking about looking at performance parts since these are shot at 75k. Anyone have experience with aftermarket parts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i personally always go with OEM, since i own the vehicle i take care of it, not driving over every single pothole in the road, since officer don't own the vehicle they can care less about that or perhaps the town or city had really bad roads, that may explain the short life on your vehicle. but that is just me.

My PIU needs ball joints. Looking for advice on whether I should stick with OEM or go with aftermarket high quality parts. My PIU only has 75k on it, so I’m thinking about looking at performance parts since these are shot at 75k. Anyone have experience with aftermarket parts?
i personally always go with OEM, since i own the vehicle i take care of it, not driving over every single pothole in the road, since officer don't own the vehicle they can care less about that or perhaps the town or city had really bad roads, that may explain the short life on your vehicle. but that is just me.
The rotors are a little warped too, but I’m going slotted and grooved instead of OEM. I need a little better braking

Check for recall on ball joints as they might go on for FREE from Dealer :)

The rotors are a little warped too, but I’m going slotted and grooved instead of OEM. I need a little better braking
OEM rotors will far outlast anything except high end hardware. PowerStops will not. Make sure you have nice, soft (low treadwear rated) tires of high want performance braking.
75k on ball joints on these is probably pretty good, considering it’s probably had a rough life.

This is Exactly why you Never buy a used police vehicle. They have been beat to **** repeatedly. You buy new ones and they serve you forever- or until it’s time to trade them in. Buy-owning& driving modern SUVs is not chpeap- no matter how you do it.

I’ve bought used police vehicles exclusively. Most are treated very well as far as maintenance but suspension will take a beating

I am glad this has worked out for you in the past.

Back