• Register Today It's free!

Aerostar A4LD into a Ranger.

jw42

Reaction score
City, State
olney, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 ford ranger
Hi. I am new at this but have found some good information.
My question is about a4ld transmissions. I have a 91 ford ranger 3.0 with a trashed trans. I am trying to use a trans out of a 4.0 aerostar. This trans has shifting problems. I am in the process of putting a Transgo jr shift kit in. The 3.0 trans had a return spring in reverse servo and 2 pucks in valve body. The 4.0 trans had no return spring and no pucks. The transgo kit says to use provided pucks. It also says to replace spring in the servo and not to use the wire clip. It also says not to forget the return spring on servo. I don't know what year the 4.0 is but the valve bodies seen identical except for the omission of these parts. I would appreciate any info. Thanks jw42

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the Aerostar section. The A4LD in the Aerostar is similar, but not exactly the same since it has a bell housing for a 4.0L. You will have to swap the 3.0L bell housing onto it. There are some other internal differences, but nothing significant enough to prevent you from swapping it in. One member had a hard time with his servo after removing the internal spring, and external clip, so it might be a good idea to leave the servo the way it is. Follow the instructions for the internal check ball & puck locations. Use the Viton D ring kit on the servo.

aero A4LD into ranger

Hi. Thanks. I put the valve body back in yesterday. I did everything it said to do in the Transgo kit including the reverse servo. It improved quite a lot but it still dosn't want to shift when cold and it bangs into low when you stop, sometimes after complete stop. This is a project and I don't want to put a lot of money in it. jw42

I wondered about the governor. That will be my next step. Thanks jw42

Back