Aerostar "system too lean". Failed inspection. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aerostar "system too lean". Failed inspection.

houstondrummer

Reaction score
City, State
tomball,texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Ford Aerostar
My 1996 ,4.0 Ford Aerostar just failed inspection.
Paperwork stated "system too lean".
Purchased a year ago I replaced o2 sensor,plugs and wires.It was well maintained by previous owner.Where do I start

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do not have the computer hook up to check codes.I will head to "auto zone". They hook up and check it for free.I guess I could do a visual check on the gaskets.

Hello Again
I just found the paperwork from the failed inspection and it says :
" Fault Codes : PO 171 : System too Lean ( Bank 1 )
I don't know if this helps at all.
I will probably head down to the auto parts anyway to get the codes re - checked.

A lean code indicates a vacuum leak either from a hose or an intake manifold gasket. Sometimes bad spark plugs & cables could cause a lean condition if the fuel isn't completely consumed by the spark in each cylinder.

Hello Again
I just found the paperwork from the failed inspection and it says :
" Fault Codes : PO 171 : System too Lean ( Bank 1 )
I don't know if this helps at all.
I will probably head down to the auto parts anyway to get the codes re - checked.
That's the same one I had. It turned out to be intake gaskets. I started a thread here about the job. It turned out to be not too bad; just time consuming. No issues since, except when you remove the hood, make sure after you put it back on to reconnect the ground wire and tighten on the stud on the passenger side inner fender. If you forget, your lights may do funny things.

Back