after a long layoff, im finally back | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

after a long layoff, im finally back

LONO100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sport trac XLT
hi all, ive been a long time member of this forum but after a very tumultuous last year and a half, im glad to be back on and doing the things i love to do, one of which is taking my sport trac around the trails of california.

i hope some of my old forum buddies are still on this site sharing knowledge, my trac has pretty much been sitting idle and not getting into many adventures the last year and a half b/c life outside of my hobbies has been super eventful to say the least. just a brief catch up on where ive been:

at the end of 2014 i finally married my beautiful and supportive wife, and also spent all of 2014 trying to become a kidney donor to my mom who contracted kidney disease i year prior. i wasnt a match but they now do a donor swap program, where they match pairs of donors/recipients with others to create chains of matches. early on in 2015 i got the call that my mother and i would be involved in a 7 person kidney swap, the largest donor/recipient match ever performed in north america! so essentially, i would be donating not directly to my mom, but to someone elses' loved one, who would in turn be donating to another person, and again and again and then my mom would be receiving a kidney from another donor as well. the swap took place at UCSF medical center. the procedure actually made the news! the same day i was informed that this would happen, and that a match would be found for us, i also found out that my wife was pregnant with our first child!

so in early march, the swap happened, and while there was a long road to recovery, we made it home. sadly however, just a few days before easter, my mom passed away of causes unrelated to the surgery while buying groceries for easter dinner. her unexpected death crushed me so hard, i could not believe we had went through so much, made it out, only to lose her. dealing with extreme highs, and extreme lows takes a toll on your mind and heart like no other. it was rough, and at the same time my wife who stood by me through it all was carrying around our baby. on october 6th, our son was finally born (over a week late!). he was so big, and my wife so tiny he was delivered via c section but im happy to say that he is now 3 months old and very fat and healthy, he also has a strong resemblance to my mom, which i am very thankful for.

anyway, that's where ive been for the past year and a half, and im hoping to make 2016 a year that i can get back to wheeling, working on car and trucks, fishing, camping, biking, basketball and all that good stuff.

my white sport trac is still going strong, although i do need to finish some projects such as disabling the "identity personal recognition" anti-theft device that has started to crap out on me. i also noticed that my front right shock came undone at the shock tower, somehow the nut had threaded off and i lost the hardware. i called rancho and they gave me part numbers to replace the hardware so i can re-attach the shock. i also need to redo some paint that chipped off the roof, and i plan to slap on some add a leafs since my springs are finally starting to sag a bit. would it be advisable to install the add a leafs while the warrior shackles are still on? or do i need to go back to the stock shackles before adding the add a leafs? any way, here are a few pics ocf my trac and how shes looking today, still pretty much the same, and ready to get back out there.

here are a few pics from some quick trips i was able to make recently before the el nino rains came. i hope to do some extended outlanding this summer.

eastern sierra mountains
WP_20150724_08_13_44_Pro_zpspmyenvsc.jpg

WP_20150724_12_57_30_Pro_zpsapuuo700.jpg

hauling my 29er
WP_20150615_19_49_49_Pro_zpsx9leeawn.jpg

fishing the legendary california delta for stripers (me on the left) . the trac gets the boat there in style!
V__1DF0_zpsdsiyfkn6.jpg

im hoping to post more how to's and projects this winter, im also now on instagram, my handle is just my name (kenpulido) if anyone wants to add me to theirs. glad to be back!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome back bud! Sorry to hear about the rough times; I hope 2016 is a lot smoother for you.

Welcome back Lono, you were missed very much. A great person you are, your post above proves that.

Congrats to you and the family for your marriage and little Lono. Really looking forward to your posts. :thumbsup:

I completely agree with everything said above. Good to have ya back!

Glad to see you back!
Funny how life throws everything at you at once!
Congrats on your new family! If you did not marry the girl who went with you on all of those trips then you would be a blithering idiot!:salute:

I've been trying to think of something to say, but all I've got is WOW.

Good to have you back.

Really glad to see ya back man, I've been thinking about you and a couple other members that kinda disappeared.

I'm very sorry to hear about all the highs and lows and especially the loss of your mother.

Awesome news about you getting married and having a son. Our son's share the same birthday.

My past year and a half has been a nightmare as well, just glad it's over but I'm still dealing with my injuries that the doctors "cleared me" from. More X-rays, MRI'S and probably physical therapy.

Alot has happened in the ST world. Not sure if you're on Facebook, if you are check out the sport trac and explorer pages.

My truck is in the middle of a SAS, V8 351w drivetrain swap from a '89 F-250. The build thread is in the Offroad build section.

Again man, glad you're still around and having fun.

Glad you are back and doing well after some rough times. Thanks for updating us, I always wonder where people go that posted regularly. You have always had good things to say.

Thanks everybody for welcoming me back, its been pretty rainy here on the west coast, we really need it too, but as soon as it dries up, ill be doing a few more how to's on paint and bypassing anti theft systems.

I remembered that there was a Sport Trac owner around the Bay Area when I first moved here a few years ago, but since then I forgot who it was because I never saw them posting. Now I see that it's you. Anyway, congrats on the positives of last year, sorry to hear about the negatives. What part of the bay are you in? I'm in Oakland now, and share a shop with a buddy down in Belmont. Next time you head out on a trail run let me know!

Welcome back, Lono!!!

We've missed ya!! Sorry to hear about the recent tough times- sounds like a lot to go through :/

Congratulations, however, on your boy! Gonna turn him into an adventurist as well, I'm sure!

and i plan to slap on some add a leafs since my springs are finally starting to sag a bit. would it be advisable to install the add a leafs while the warrior shackles are still on? or do i need to go back to the stock shackles before adding the add a leafs?

I had Warriors and add-a-leafs at the same time.

Or do the F-150 spring swap.

Back