After a week with my new '17 Sport... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

After a week with my new '17 Sport...

missin44

Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
I'm very happy with my new '17 Sport.

2. Front seats
3. For a SUV it handles surprisingly well
4. SYNC3 - Nice and works well. Except Nav.
5. Quiet
6. As fun to drive as an SUV can be

Dislikes:
1. Navigation - very basic at best. Save money and skip the nav if possible. Get Android Auto or Apple CarPlay and use Google Maps or Waze.
2. Rear power outlets - Mounted on rear of console between front seats. Poor location, stow the second row seats and if you have something plugged in the second row seat back does not have enough clearance to clear plugs. That said love the 110 outlet!
3. Rubber mats - This assumes you want that option. They're OK, still skip that option and get WeatherTech or Husky mats for coverage and fit just as well. FYI - I got the Husky 3rd row floor mat, cargo mat for behind the 3rd row & full cargo mat for behind the 2nd row. They fit and look great.
4. Tires in snow - No two ways about it, terrible in snow or ice. These are not even all season tires. Granted this is not the tires design, yet I live in snow country. If you get a new Sport budget for snow tires.

Of all my gripes they're pretty trivial except for the Nav system. It's high dollar item for little return.

Man do I love this motor.

In short would still have bought the same vehicle,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the NAV, I love the split screen and how it shows how many lanes are going in each direction for highway exits and splits. It also shows the speed limit for most major highways which is a plus for me.

I like the NAV, I love the split screen and how it shows how many lanes are going in each direction for highway exits and splits. It also shows the speed limit for most major highways which is a plus for me.
Split is nice. However Google Maps and Waze both show speed limits and are much more up to date. I already know of 2 sections of Interstate where speed limit was once 75, it's now 80 and has been for over 2 years. NAV still shows 75. In NAV there is a rural road in my are that isn't on NAV it is on Google and Waze. Google and Wave data base is far superior, EX - Want Joe's Pizza in x.. Nevada, it's most likely on Google and Waze. Probably not on NAV. Of course you can inpute the address as a last resort. The biggest limitation on Google Maps or Waze is that you need 3G/4G to get it initiated. Once initiated it's good to go. Waze is very good at accident, police and heavy traffic locations. My system does have the latest update BTW.

NAV will get the job granted and if limited to only NAV it's fine. My point, at least for me it's a huge waste of money for what you get when compared to what's free with virtually every smart phone out there.

Navigation in this car is my favorite feature, honestly. You're right, it's a little behind though.

I like the navigation on Sync3 better than the previous system. I like the way you can input the address as it is and not go to each section for address/house/city/state that is cumbersome. I also love the breadcrumb feature as well.

The Sport isn't made for winter driving. It's a Performance vehicle. If you are going to drive in snow, you should replace the stock tires and only drive them in the non-winter months.

The Sport isn't made for winter driving. It's a Performance vehicle. If you are going to drive in snow, you should replace the stock tires and only drive them in the non-winter months.
I disagree that the Sport isn't made for Winter driving. But I do agree that Winter tires should be used. I have the Platinum with the same engine and always use dedicated Winter tires. No problem driving it in Winter. The TMS 'Snow' mode can also be of great help in adapting to the conditions. Non of the stock tires regardless of trim level are designed for Winter conditions.

Peter

I disagree that the Sport isn't made for Winter driving. But I do agree that Winter tires should be used. I have the Platinum with the same engine and always use dedicated Winter tires. No problem driving it in Winter. The TMS 'Snow' mode can also be of great help in adapting to the conditions. Non of the stock tires regardless of trim level are designed for Winter conditions.

Peter

Agree, the AWD sys it's self is no different than any other Explorer, at least as far as I know. The only difference are the tires. To be clear it's the tires which were never intended for winter conditions that are lousy on snow and ice.

Tires are so important. I just put new Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06's on our '16 Sport. Huge improvement over the factory Hancocks - which I hated.

Just picked up my Sport last week and already thinking of putting the Contis on it.

Back