The Good and Bad, After a week with my '14 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Good and Bad, After a week with my '14 Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Port Perry, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Well after a full week with my new '14 Ex Sport, I figured I would share some experiences and opinions based on around 1600 km.

So far I am seeing an average of 13.2L/100km, Not terrible in my opinion for break-in period in the winter with a fair bit of idling for warm up, and slower traffic.

Comfort - Both my wife and I have commented on the able amount of space for passengers in the explorer and inturn that means comfort. The ability to move side to side in your seat and find a position that works best for you, or shift and change that position on a longer trip. For the sport I am surprised at how comfortable the ride actually is, I was expecting it to be a bit harsher.

Power & Traction - Haven't even come close to seeing what it can really do yet. It seems to put power down on the ground really well, in dry, wet and snow covered road conditions. The "Snow" mode on the I-4WD system really mutes alot of the power in that it makes it apply it very slowly and smoothly. To me this is to be expected given that it is expecting loose or slippery snow on top of a hard surface. During the start of "The great ice storm of 2014" lol, We were travelling from Mississauaga to Port Perry, a 100km trip. It wasn't until we got home that we realized how bad the roads actually were. The explorer felt planted and fully under control even on some very bad freezing rain covered roads.

Adaptive Cruise Control - I wasn't sure if I wanted this feature, but when it came time to order I decided at the last minute to add it. Now I am sooooooo glad I did. This feature is truely amazing, I do alot of highway driving and the constant inconsistent speed of other drivers has always been a pet peeve of mine since I have always used cruise in previous vehicles. With the adaptive cruise control I can just follow along now if I choose. While travelling for x-mas I did a 400km trip from my place through Toronto and pretty much staying in adaptive the whole trip. Speeds varied between 120km/h all the way down to 30km/h in spots through Toronto, and the adaptive did it all.

Space - I was expecting a bit more space in the back, but given the folded flat third row it actually does have a fair bit of room once you actually start packing stuff in their. For 3 of my 4 christmas stops I was able to pack in all our stuff, for staying away from home for 5 days, and both kids stuff and all their x-mas presents, while still maintaining a view out of the rear window.

Dual Panel Moonroof - Not as much my like as my sons, I have always had sunroofs in my previous vehicles but they have never extended to the second row. To quote my 4yo son..... "Daddy, I can't see!! Open the top window! I like this vehicle it has a top window for me."

Dislikes:

Headlights - They really are horrible!! LOL. If you are driving on pavement that is at all wet, you literally wonder if your headlights are even on. The fog lights improve this directly infront of the vehicle but do nothing past about 20 feet. I have already switch to aftermarket "silverstar" bulbs and they were certianly an improvement, but not to the extent they improved on previous vehicles. I think the design of the projector itself is robbing a lot of light actually getting to the road. I WILL be installing the 6K HID kit at some point when I get some time, and convince my dealer to swap over my DRL to the amber marker lights.

Getting a new vehicle in the winter - It will never look this clean, atleast not for a few months!!

1506966_10151855833544702_326703345_n.jpg

Issues:

Broken Passenger Side Rearview Mirror - On Christmas day while visiting my Parents in Southern Ontario, I went out to the explorer to get something out of it from the passenger side and noticed what I though was a dirt mark on the face of the passenger side rearview mirror. After closer inspection I realized it is actually a crack all the way across the lower one third of the mirror. I assume that some water got in behind the mirror surface and due to it being fairly cold, the water turning to ice expanded and cracked the mirror. It for sure wasn't there when I backed into the laneway, as it's pretty obvious in the reflection of the mirror. I will be contacting my dealer this week to arrange warranty on it, hopefully!

MFT "Auto" Climate - During our longer trip over the holidays I had on several occasions where we had been driving with the Dual Climate on Auto, and hadn't touched it for around an hour. It would all of a sudden just start blasting out full hot out of the dash level passenger/driver no matter what you set or changed on the controls. The only way to stop it was to actually shut off the climate controls and restart them, at which point it would resume normal "auto" operation.

All and All I am pretty happy with the Explorer. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just turned 10K with my wifes 13' sport and she loves it. So far no issues at all. Good review btw.

Great write up CreativeAVtech!
I have had mine for exactly 1 week now (500kms) and I agree with all your comments.
Luckily, nothing has broken yet, too!

Further to the headlights. While they are not as bad as I was expecting from the Forum chatter, they are certainly not great. It has been very dark and rainy this past week on the Wet Coast and I fully agree there is not much light on the road.
What I do find odd is that there seems to be an awful lot of light shining up onto roadside and overhead traffic signage. Anyone else notice this?
I am going to ask my dealer to check headlight alignment ASAP and I am going to measure out the spec's on a wall to satisfy my own curiousity, too.

I may try some better bulbs like you did and I am really interested in upgrading the lights if I can get a dealer to reprogram DTR lights.

I ordered the Ford all weather floor mats and they are a disappointment. Husky set, including both size cargo area mats plus 3rd row, are ordered and on the way.
I installed front and rear mud guards (easy) and this seems to knock down some of the dirty spray off the door panels - looks OK, too IMO.

I have also booked it in to have 3M paint protector film applied next week. The Ex has a serious amount of frontal painted area (plus above the windshield!) just waiting to gather stone chips. This stuff is seriously expensive (!) but based on the stone damage to my last few vehicles (usually by a big rig blowing by (!) on the snowy Coquilhalla, it should be cheaper than an insurance claim for a front clip respray.

Ditto on the lights, halogens are horrible, and same beam layout-side and upper area of road is lit up and nothing in front of car.
In front of the garage I can see the lights are centered and aimed straight ahead.
Im thinking they should be lower, will check the manual...

Others posted that the projector and shutter seem to be lousy and when I tested the high beams it does seem the normal shutter position is making light output suffer.

The first week i had mine i noticed a crack across the passenger sideview mirror as well, looked to be a glass defect. I had my dealer replace it under warranty.

Hmmmmm, I've always felt the lights on the Limited (standard halogens) have been very good. Lots of miles (+97,000) in night, rain, sleet & snow. Maybe you guys have poorly aimed lights from the factory????

Hmmmmm, I've always felt the lights on the Limited (standard halogens) have been very good. Lots of miles (+97,000) in night, rain, sleet & snow. Maybe you guys have poorly aimed lights from the factory????
This comes from comparison. The leveling, cornering Bi-Xenons on my Touareg make the Explorer seem like I have 2 flashlights duct taped to the bumper. It is as different as night and day, no pun intended. Ford should have left off some of the more useless gadgets, and spent that $ on better lighting, or at least made it an option. I would have gladly spent $1K for a factory upgrade. You only have to look at people's interest in installing those junk, Chinese HiD kits to know there is a problem.

Great write up AV:thumbsup: Im at five weeks of ownership now and Ive experienced the instant hot blast a couple times too,curious for sure. I'd have to say that the climate control is my biggest nitpick. It never seems to be the right temp when it's in auto, I find myself setting it a few degrees colder in the cabin than I'd usually be comfortable with then turning on the heated seat to the lowest setting. Less than perfect but I'm still hoping with some more seat time the climate system will become more user friendly.

I think I must have the one set of headlights on the ESport that work;) almost every comment here is about the low performance of the system, frankly I dont see it, er maybe I do see it:eek: Dunno for sure but the headlights do a great job of illuminating where I want to drive. Maybe the factory installed a prototype undisclosed super secret upgrade lighting kit on mine?? I think they work great but I did order some Cree high output LED's for the fogs that are supposed to drop in, just got em so Ill see today:)

BTW AV, I love the Ruby Red, it's the color I wanted but my dealer swore that it would "cost me $10,000. On resale" and I let him talk me out of it. The copor that I REALLY WANTED, the darker silver , not sure what the option name is but it looks kind of 'Pewter' is not avail on the Sport versions. I swear, I'll never understand why manufacturers would make ANY color choices off limits on the top line model:thumbdwn:

Also the bulbs are prob no good. I had halogens on my old Honda and they were fine. Im going to replace the bulbs and check the aim.

This comes from comparison. The leveling, cornering Bi-Xenons on my Touareg make the Explorer seem like I have 2 flashlights duct taped to the bumper.

Well, in all fairness, you are comparing apples to pumpkins. The Explorer's base lights are neither leveling, nor cornering, nor bi-xenons.

I have bi-xenons on some of my Porsches. Yes, they are excellent. Best light quality ever. My new 911 that delivers in March will have leveling & cornering (15 degree) LED's. I think it was a $3.5k option. Another notch up. Can't wait.

Well, in all fairness, you are comparing apples to pumpkins. The Explorer's base lights are neither leveling, nor cornering, nor bi-xenons.

I have bi-xenons on some of my Porsches. Yes, they are excellent. Best light quality ever. My new 911 that delivers in March will have leveling & cornering (15 degree) LED's. I think it was a $3.5k option. Another notch up. Can't wait.

"Some of my Porsches"! Would you consider adopting me? Daily walking of your Porsches for you is a chore I wouldn't even complain about :D

I also hate the headlights on my new sport, and I also agree with one comment about them firing a lot of light at signage down the road. They just do not light up the road surface like you would expect. I've swapped the bulbs until it gets warmer, at which point she is getting the lights programmed and the hid kit sitting on my work bench installed. Also thinking of installing a set of driving lights in the lower grill intake.

I also hate the headlights on my new sport, and I also agree with one comment about them firing a lot of light at signage down the road. They just do not light up the road surface like you would expect. I've swapped the bulbs until it gets warmer, at which point she is getting the lights programmed and the hid kit sitting on my work bench installed. Also thinking of installing a set of driving lights in the lower grill intake.
You may to check put this post; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2657731&postcount=66

Peter

I just plugged in a set of PIAA Xtreme White Plus.
A noticeable difference plus roads are dry (for a change tonight) this evening.
And surprise, even more light on the road and overhead signs!

I'll try these for a while and think a bout HID kits.

I just plugged in a set of PIAA Xtreme White Plus.
A noticeable difference plus roads are dry (for a change tonight) this evening.
And surprise, even more light on the road and overhead signs!

I'll try these for a while and think a bout HID kits.

IM guessing these are headlight bulbs that are plug and play on the 14 Sport?

Where and how much?

Yes, Piaa halogen plug in's. Lordco has them on for $83.99 this week. Internet pricing could be better, tho I did not even look.

They are better, but still mediocre vs. HID's on my STi.

I was at Nmotion on Lougheed today. They do full HID kit installs with all of the necessary (and optional pieces) plus 1 year full warranty if they install. I am seriously considering this while they do my 3M paint protect on front clip.

Also, check this out from Victoria, BC. THIS would be the solution!
http://www.bilinvic-retrofits.com/retrofit-packages.html

Ditto on the lights, halogens are horrible, and same beam layout-side and upper area of road is lit up and nothing in front of car.
In front of the garage I can see the lights are centered and aimed straight ahead.
Im thinking they should be lower, will check the manual...

Others posted that the projector and shutter seem to be lousy and when I tested the high beams it does seem the normal shutter position is making light output suffer.

Big reason why I chose the limited instead of the sport. Better lighting...

My wifes prvious car (audi a4 with auto leveling) was far superior to the Ex even being a 2002. Auto leveling was great and a fantastic cut off on the beam. The Ex's is just sloppy.

Well after a full week with my new '14 Ex Sport, I figured I would share some experiences and opinions based on around 1600 km.

So far I am seeing an average of 13.2L/100km, Not terrible in my opinion for break-in period in the winter with a fair bit of idling for warm up, and slower traffic.

Comfort - Both my wife and I have commented on the able amount of space for passengers in the explorer and inturn that means comfort. The ability to move side to side in your seat and find a position that works best for you, or shift and change that position on a longer trip. For the sport I am surprised at how comfortable the ride actually is, I was expecting it to be a bit harsher.

Power & Traction - Haven't even come close to seeing what it can really do yet. It seems to put power down on the ground really well, in dry, wet and snow covered road conditions. The "Snow" mode on the I-4WD system really mutes alot of the power in that it makes it apply it very slowly and smoothly. To me this is to be expected given that it is expecting loose or slippery snow on top of a hard surface. During the start of "The great ice storm of 2014" lol, We were travelling from Mississauaga to Port Perry, a 100km trip. It wasn't until we got home that we realized how bad the roads actually were. The explorer felt planted and fully under control even on some very bad freezing rain covered roads.

Adaptive Cruise Control - I wasn't sure if I wanted this feature, but when it came time to order I decided at the last minute to add it. Now I am sooooooo glad I did. This feature is truely amazing, I do alot of highway driving and the constant inconsistent speed of other drivers has always been a pet peeve of mine since I have always used cruise in previous vehicles. With the adaptive cruise control I can just follow along now if I choose. While travelling for x-mas I did a 400km trip from my place through Toronto and pretty much staying in adaptive the whole trip. Speeds varied between 120km/h all the way down to 30km/h in spots through Toronto, and the adaptive did it all.

Space - I was expecting a bit more space in the back, but given the folded flat third row it actually does have a fair bit of room once you actually start packing stuff in their. For 3 of my 4 christmas stops I was able to pack in all our stuff, for staying away from home for 5 days, and both kids stuff and all their x-mas presents, while still maintaining a view out of the rear window.

Dual Panel Moonroof - Not as much my like as my sons, I have always had sunroofs in my previous vehicles but they have never extended to the second row. To quote my 4yo son..... "Daddy, I can't see!! Open the top window! I like this vehicle it has a top window for me."

Dislikes:

Headlights - They really are horrible!! LOL. If you are driving on pavement that is at all wet, you literally wonder if your headlights are even on. The fog lights improve this directly infront of the vehicle but do nothing past about 20 feet. I have already switch to aftermarket "silverstar" bulbs and they were certianly an improvement, but not to the extent they improved on previous vehicles. I think the design of the projector itself is robbing a lot of light actually getting to the road. I WILL be installing the 6K HID kit at some point when I get some time, and convince my dealer to swap over my DRL to the amber marker lights.

Getting a new vehicle in the winter - It will never look this clean, atleast not for a few months!!

1506966_10151855833544702_326703345_n.jpg

Issues:

Broken Passenger Side Rearview Mirror - On Christmas day while visiting my Parents in Southern Ontario, I went out to the explorer to get something out of it from the passenger side and noticed what I though was a dirt mark on the face of the passenger side rearview mirror. After closer inspection I realized it is actually a crack all the way across the lower one third of the mirror. I assume that some water got in behind the mirror surface and due to it being fairly cold, the water turning to ice expanded and cracked the mirror. It for sure wasn't there when I backed into the laneway, as it's pretty obvious in the reflection of the mirror. I will be contacting my dealer this week to arrange warranty on it, hopefully!

MFT "Auto" Climate - During our longer trip over the holidays I had on several occasions where we had been driving with the Dual Climate on Auto, and hadn't touched it for around an hour. It would all of a sudden just start blasting out full hot out of the dash level passenger/driver no matter what you set or changed on the controls. The only way to stop it was to actually shut off the climate controls and restart them, at which point it would resume normal "auto" operation.

All and All I am pretty happy with the Explorer. :thumbsup:

Hi CreativeAVtech,

I'm glad you are enjoying your new ride! :) Did you ever get a chance to talk to your dealer about the crack on your mirror?

Bianca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi CreativeAVtech,

I'm glad you are enjoying your new ride! :) Did you ever get a chance to talk to your dealer about the crack on your mirror?

Bianca

Well Kinda, Haven't heard from the dealership yet if Ford has agreed to cover under warranty or if I will have to pay the $140 for a new mirror glass (if the later happens I won't be a happy camper, but I'll wait till I hear) Currently I am going on the assumption that all will be well and they will cover it. I told my dealership to just let me know what they hear and if photos are required then it will have to wait a bit as I am currently on the "AutoShow Tour" with Ford. Looking forward to next weeks show in Montreal as I get to unveil an "automotive icon" ;) :thumbsup:

Back